1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Zulu Warrior

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by aragorn, Sep 11, 2008.

1. aragorn New Member

In this article I would want to propose you my way to realize a section of ground, precisely a spur of rock and earth.
    First of all depart from the choice of the sideburn. I have opted for a sideburn with the presence of a breaking in the wood that I have covered with a specific productof the Ironmodel on which I have attached some pietruzzes.
    In want to thank my friend Franco Serra (ilbasetta) for the sideburn.
    [IMG]

I start from a part of cork:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I cover the cork with a mixture of vinavil, plaster in dust, soil and water:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. aragorn New Member

[IMG]

[IMG]

For the coloration naturally the tones can be chosen that one prefers. Personally I chose tones of grey and brown to avoiding the two predominance of one.
    I cover the piece with a mix of grey confederate (a grey that contains a presence of brown) and flat black:

[IMG]

Subsequently beginning a progressive job of washings (brown and black) and brush:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

To this point to confer a dusty aspect I use of the dust of crayon loosened in water with which I cover the sideburn. Once dry and evaporated the water the dust it is deposited on the piece getting the wanted effect.
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  3. aragorn New Member

Then I realize the ground, mixing some common earth of garden with vinavil and covering the desired zones.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Then I create the vegetation.
    Naturally the vegetation must be married the piece and the general context.
    [IMG]

Colored with tones of dak green and brown:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I insert a dead tree with some roots:
    [IMG]

In last to conform the all and to confer a dusty aspect I effect a passage with some dust:
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  4. aragorn New Member

I believe that the sideburn not to be secondary to the figure, but integral part. A figure must tell an episode, a state of mind, and the sideburn must help to make to understand this.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

And this is the figure.......
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  5. dannyk01 New Member

Australia
    Woah, that is just..... AMAZING! I'm most amazed that it started out as a bit of cork that you cut up then plastered and then just expanded it. I also agree that dioramas (or vingettes) need to tell some kind of story and honestly it does by helping see what kind of enviroment or situiation the the figure was is. Just one thing, is the figure painted yet?

Daniel
  6. georges64 Member

France
    Another great SbS from you!
    Fully amazing!
    From wich book is the picture from and the figure scale?

georges.
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    I really like the fact tat you've taken the time to give the whole piece, ground work and figure the effect of wind blowing, all in the same direction! Cool stuff, and nice work.

Jay H.
    OKC
  8. aragorn New Member

Thanks Danny and George. Now I'm painting for Le Petit Soldat.
    The scale is 65 mm and the book is an italian series about battles.
    By
    fer
  9. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic work on the groundwork and figure.Have you got any in progress shots of the figure.This going to look wonderful when painted up.

David
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great SBS, exellent base.
    Can't wait to see it finished.

Marc