1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

zulu warrior..painted(?)

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by skydive53, Aug 19, 2009.

1. skydive53 Member

Italy
    Hi all mates...felt enough about sculpting tools I'd the bad idea to paint this 54 mm Zulu warrior I sculpted last year...I'm not satisfyed at all about the result..I knew I'm not a...great painter (nor a sculptor...but I definitively enjoy more...making mess with Magic Sculpt!!!!)...Anyway here's a couples o' pics on what I've done moving brushes on this poor chap!...This is the first time I use oil colours....
    Don't worry....I'm waiting for critics...
    Ciao
    rinaldo

Attached Files:

2. magister militum New Member

United-States
    Looks great. Nice touch putting the colonialists hat on his head.
  3. sirhogr Member

Greece
    Well rinaldo it looks great to me too!
  4. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi

I think its a fine piece all round
    Like the pose ... the idea of the foreign service helmet as a trophy

Frank
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Don't knock your painting. I think the sculpture is well done. The profile show that you took some care to get the anatomy right. A nude, or in this case near nude figure are probably the most difficult to sculpt. I love the war trophy, great touch. ~Gary
  6. skydive53 Member

Italy
    Thanks you all mates for your encouragement...Indeed I believe it's quite difficult to me be satisfyed of my painting (and sculpting) works as looking around the forums ones can see real masterpieces.This Zulu sculpture was born just as anatomy exercise...if I'm not mistaken was my 2nd or 3rd sculpting experiment.Next step is painting the... owner of that colonial hat,just delayed 'cos I realized his left arm was in the need of surgery, being wrong...
    Thanks again..
    cheers...ciao
    rinaldo

Attached Files:

7. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Rinaldo,
    nice work,the colonial is coming along realy well,what scale and regt is it going to be?
    Best Regards
    Paul

www.paulblaber1.moonfruit.com
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Rinaldo i think you are doing a great job.
    And above all having fun in your hobby is the biggest thing.
    So keep pushing putty and have fun.

Mar
  9. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great work Rinaldo!
    The sculpture is excellent, the paintwork could use some more contrast in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  10. skydive53 Member

Italy
    thanks guys!
    The scale is 54mm...that colonial hat was indeed sculpted for him...then,you know, Isandlwana battle went out in a damn bad way for this rifleman of the 24th of Foot Rgt..The title for this figure is just "the last shot" and he's in the action to load his Martini Henry with his last cartridge....
    Marcel, thanks..and yes I'd have done some more contrast but I painted with oils for the first time, as I wasn't sure 'bout the final result with acrylics on a a so large skin surface...and what seemed fine when still wet wasn't so once dryied..I'll be back on it in the next days..hope it works...
    Again,thanks for your kind attention,mates
    Ciao
    rinaldo
    http://sculptinghistory.jimdo.com/
  11. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As i have said elsewhere Rinaldo you have done an all round good job on this figure mate, i have had the same trouble when painting with oils reference contrast, like you i am new to oil painting, everything seems great when wet but when it dries the contrast seems to disapear to an extent.

Steve
  12. Saginaw79 New Member

United-States
    We are always way more critical of our own works, but IMO that Zulu looks just fine!
  13. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Excellent sculpting Rinaldo on both figures, as for the painting, its good to see new people trying oils stick with it and you will soon see better results.

Cheers David
  14. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    I've been working on a 120mm Landsknecht and can't get the calves right to my liking and YOU have the whole nude looking great... hats off to ya!!

Kevin