1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Zulu flesh tones

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by davidmitchell, Jan 4, 2010.

1. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi guys just about to start painting Pegasos Zulu figure.Having not painted this type of figure before and was hoping you might be able to help with some mixes.All my painting is done in W&N oils ,so mixes using these colours would be most useful.

Cheers David
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  3. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi David, would you prefer to work from a tubed brown as a starting colour or is mixing 'from scratch' okay?

Depending on the specific colouration you're aiming for you could work nearly entirely with Burnt Umber quite successfully, maybe just adding a little of a red earth as necessary if the tints are a little dull.

If you're okay with more mixing you can use a basic selection of colours as an ethnic palette, which will mix the entire range of necessary browns from highlight to shadow, with a little bit of glazing afterwards for ruddy areas, lips etc. I use Titanium White, Yellow Ochre, Red Oxide and Mars Black but similar colours can be substituted, giving similar results.

Palette aside, do you have references lined up? As is often the case it's very advisable to work from pictorial references to get the most realistic results.

Einion
  4. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Not Joking David: please consider using WS Cobalt Violet

David:

I will enclose a picture of a Verlinden bust from several years ago, that I took
    to the IPMS-USA National Convention in Los Angeles, 2007. I was working in
    oil only back then. I felt that I needed something extra to give the Black
    Pirate, called Caesar a skin tone that was more velvety(sp?). Like you I used
    Winsor Newton Oil paints in the tubes. The color I will suggest is the Student
    grade. Cobalt Violet Hue Number 16.

I'm not joking here David, and I hope you like the results. I added the Cobalt
    Violet Hue (which is a medium purple) to the brown paint that I
    mixed on my palette. I thought it worked out quite well. So you may
    want to experiment with it.
    IMHO, Brown is a colour like grey in that there are lot of other
    colours in the colour of Brown, i.e. red, yellow, blue, etc. and as you know
    you can make a brown from mixing those three primary colors in the
    correct amounts. And purple is made from a mix of blue and red, basic
    elemental colours in Brown.

Good luck,

rick

Here is the photo:

Attached Files:

5. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks Guys for your very valuable advice,will let you see the results soon.

Cheers David