1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Zulu Figure conversions

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Kevin Gibbons, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Kevin Gibbons Active Member

Hope this is the right place but thought I would post a few mild conversions I have been working on of the old Mike French Zulu war figures now they are available again from Richie the first one is a conversion of the old Bourne /Allen figures to create a Sergeant at isandlwana/ Rorkes Drift the second is a Quartermaster Sergeant Isandlewana conversion from the excellent Bandsman Figure the third is the Highlander Ulundi with a Zulu Shield instead of the original assegai...these figures are really versatile and lend themselves to many conversions still quite a way to go regards painting but getting there I feel the Quartermaster Sergeant was based around the image in the Excellent Zulu book by Ian Knight

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Martin Rice, Chrisr, MCPWilk and 18 others like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice conversion and superb painting.
    Trep and Kevin Gibbons like this.
  3. Kevin Gibbons Active Member

Thanks Bob still a way to go painting wise but these figures really lend themselves to a bit of conversion if you like me love anything to do with the Zulu war
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Coming along nicely Sir. Now if you wouldn't mind keeping us updated with your progress, there's a good Gentleman ....

- Steve
    Nap and Kevin Gibbons like this.
  5. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Beautiful work Kevin! (y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Kevin Gibbons likes this.
  6. Kevin Gibbons Active Member

Thanks Ken....like I say still a way to go with the tartan on the trews but I love these old figures they still stand well with the modern offerings in the 3D era.....I really miss some of the old David Grieve stuff to
    KenBoyle likes this.
  7. Kevin Gibbons Active Member

Will do Sir...”wouldn’t want to upset the lads”....Lol
    Richie and Babelfish like this.
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kevin,
    I am so glad you decided to share these, to good to keep them to yourself, you know what I thought:cool::cool: :cool:. Don't forget to share the other one when you are ready(y).
    cheers
    Richie
    Paul Casson, Nap and Kevin Gibbons like this.
  9. Kevin Gibbons Active Member

Will do mate.....so glad you got hold of these and are keeping them alive, they are still fantastic figures in their own right and as conversion potential they are great to , I keep finding other things I want to try ...will just have to pull my finger out with the mounted Lancer.....Lol
    Richie likes this.
  10. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work Kevin. All great subjects.
    Gordon
  11. Kevin Gibbons Active Member

Thanks Gordon.....still a lot of work to do painting wise but I’m really enjoying these...Kevin
  12. Trep Active Member

United-States
    Looking very good, nice work
  13. Kevin Gibbons Active Member

Thanks Trep ......will update when more work has been done
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Kevin

Nice conversion work on these and a great period as well ( ask Richie ....lol )

Have done any Zulu as well ?

Look forward to updates when you can

Happy benchtime

Nap
  15. Kevin Gibbons Active Member

Thanks Kevin and to all for the kind comments from everyone ..Like Richie I love the Zulu war era uniforms and the history of the campaign and have always thought this range of figures originally from Mike French were some of the best around and was really pleased when Richie managed to re release them...I have got a couple of the Zulu figure he did in the stash and one painted but havnt managed to convert one as yet
    Nap likes this.
  16. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Great work, I do like these figures...
    Kevin Gibbons and Richie like this.
  17. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent stuff. Your obvious enthusiasm for the subject is clear to see. (y)
    Kevin Gibbons and Richie like this.
  18. Kevin Gibbons Active Member

Thanks always been a great period of interest that and Waterloo and Napoleonic
  19. Kevin Gibbons Active Member

They are great figures to paint and still stand well in the 3D printing era
  20. chailey Active Member

England
    Thank you Kevin for posting these, they still stand the test of time, and well done Richie for re-inventing them!
    Blind Pew and Kevin Gibbons like this.