1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Zulu and Zulu dawn,required reading recommendations

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by chris1, Mar 29, 2015.

1. chris1 Active Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm watching Zulu dawn at present and know very little about Iswandwalda and Rorkes Drift,and was wondering if I could recommendations for some reading material,I'd prefer material similar in style to say Rick Atkinson (crusade) or Bing West.ie not dry.

Cheers

Chris
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Chris,

Do you mean reference material for uniforms ..Richie us the man for this ( our resident chimp) ...but why not try googling it or have a look on Amazon .

I have uniform references but are all packed ready to move house on the 11th!

Good luck

Nap
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Chris,
    Besides the list of reading books I compiled and I've added another couple of books to my collection since then. I would also thoroughly recommend David Rattray's "Day of the dead moon"
    This is not a reading book but a talking book on five CD's narrated by David Rattray himself. I listen to this a lot whilst painting and it very skilfully put together. It gives whole history of South Africa and how things developed leading up to and even after the battles in the Zulu wars. Definitely worth a listen.

While Zulu gives the spirit of the battle, Zulu Dawn is more accurate but is not without it's flaws and artistic license. I'm not familiar with the author's you posted but you cannot go wrong with author's like Ian Knight, Adrian Greaves, Julian Whybra, Simon Smith, Huw Jones etc or source first hand accounts and diaries.

If you want to start off with something cheap you can pick up a copy of Brave Men's Blood by Ian Knight on Amazon for $2.47, this cover's all the battles in the Zulu war, has some great photo's, illustrations and maps. If you want any further help then just shout.
    cheers
    Richie
    stoffy01 likes this.
  5. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

If you can still get it, try "The Washing of the Spears" by Donald Morris, great book, and, for me the definitive work on the History of South Africa. regards Ray
    stoffy01 likes this.
  6. Funky50 Guest

This book is well worth a read by the zulu war historian Ian Knight image.jpg
    stoffy01 likes this.