1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Zoraida - Ares Mythologic

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I took a break from my Neko Galaxy project to dust off this somewhat older kit from Ares Mythologic. It's another 75mm female figure, though fantasy rather than my other sci-fi project. Still, I'm exploring a lot of the same techniques like working with color in the light (both ambient and primary light), cast shadows, and NMM. I'm painting this figure for a mini exchange I'm doing with a group of friends, so I wanted to make sure I got it done in time.

Z07.JPG

I went with a green color scheme for most of the piece and then added the contrasting reddish orange hair to help create the focus around her face. At the moment I'm sculpting some details onto the groundwork and then I'll start painting that too. Not much left, so hoping to finish her by the end of the month.
    Z08.JPG Z09.JPG

And, since I'm sharing her a bit later in the painting process, here's a look at how the project developed. You can see some of the early sketching to distinguish the lit areas from the shadow regions.
    Z01.JPG Z04.JPG Z07.JPG
    MalcC, Ferris, Darby and 19 others like this.
  2. Oda A Fixture

Very,very good indeed Bailey.It looks beautiful and flawless.

Oda.
    Bailey likes this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Super painting, beautiful contrasts.
    I also like the freehand painting.
    Oda likes this.
  4. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    That looks really good, excellent flesh work.
    Oda and Bailey like this.
  5. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    excellent work Bailey, i had so much fun painting this figure !!! I particularly like how you pushed the viewer's sight to the face, brilliant idea !
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Bailey

Great to see what your working on, like the colours you've chosen , fine work on the flesh

Looking forward to seeing more updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Bailey and Oda like this.
  7. Mike the Swede Active Member

Love it! Great color harmony :)
  8. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  9. Ferris A Fixture

Beautiful paintwork! Love the colour choices and how you did the transitions.

The end result on the skin shows a cool shadow tone....how did you get there from the warm-brownish cast shadow on the wip picture?

Adrian
    Bailey likes this.
  10. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you, everyone!

Adrian, I had a little blue in my initial shadow sketch but I wanted to enhance the colder shadow tones since it wasn't really coming across initially. So when I went back to refine the shadows and work on the transitions I double the amount of blue in my mix. You can see it in that earlier image comparing the refined shadows on her face and neck with the original sketches on her arm and torso.

I put the finishing touches on the figure and completed the base over the weekend. Here's a look at the final images.
    z10__sized_l.jpg
    z11__sized.jpg z12__sized.jpg z13__sized.jpg z14__sized.jpg

I posted a 360 video of the piece which I'll try to link below
    Nordman, MalcC, Joe55 and 3 others like this.
  11. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
  12. Gary Edmundson Well-Known Member

Canada
    Spectacular paintwork. Very inspiring.
    Bailey likes this.
  13. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    What a lovely looking piece. I like your color selection and how it all ties together.

Joe
    Bailey likes this.
  14. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Superb painting, the graduation of the colours is flawless.

Malc
    Bailey likes this.