1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Zeus - Alexandros Models

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by arxo, Oct 8, 2012.

1. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Hello to all PF members...

It's been a while since my last post, but at last (!!) I managed to finish this beautiful figure of ZEUS from Alexandros Models that's been 'bugging' me all this time. It was a big (literally) challenge for me, since it's my first try on such a big scale (80mm). It's painted in acrylics and based on an actual piece of marble upon which I painted freehand something like an ancient Greek motif. As a reference I used : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_and_Thetis_(Ingres), instead of the white/blue color scheme of the original box art.

I would like to thank PF member Christos Katselos for his advise on flesh tones and Zacharias of Legacy Miniatures for his skills in mending the casting errors (huge gap in the neck area), without of which I wouldn't be able to even start this figure.

IMG_6584.jpg IMG_6585.jpg IMG_6587.jpg IMG_6588.jpg IMG_6589.jpg IMG_6590.jpg IMG_6591.jpg IMG_6593.jpg IMG_6594.jpg IMG_6595.jpg

If you feel likevoting for it : http://www.coolminiornot.com/315841 .

And some photos of how it progressed :

base.jpg sbs1.jpg sbs2.jpg

All comments are welcome,

Thank you for your time.
    jerry, Braemp, Karlosfandango and 9 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant work.
    I can't believe someone gave you a 6 on CMON.:meh:
    Carl.(y)
  3. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Thank you Carl. As for CMON, I still see it as waiting for approval, and don't know if the 6 you say it's the default entry rank. But to each it's own I guess...
  4. RFL Active Member

United-States
    CMON voters have issues for historical painters. The "6" is the default for registered voters, it can be changed.

I just gave you a "10" . You should be aware that you can vote for yourself when you list and should vote yourself a "10" to offset the mean little people who run around that place giving "3"`s to anything that`s not a Space Marine...

Nice work on the Bolt BTW...
  5. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Love love love love it!!!!!
  6. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Muscle definition is just great...Excellent job on the skin....(y)
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Outstanding paintwork.
    For my taste (and maybe only my taste) the shading could be somewhat softer, and the contrast less hard.

Marc
  8. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Thank you all. The contrast is something that I will work on my next minis since although it feels ok for me, I too realize that it's somehow harsh.
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That is the best Zeus i've seen yet,i love the red robes and the painting of the eagle,the groundwork is superb as well,the flesh tones are the thing that has really struck me,so beautifully done,i'm going to save some of these pictures,the whole piece is a work of art,stunning in my opinion (y):joyful:

Brian
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That is the best Zeus i've seen yet,i love the red robes and the painting of the eagle,the groundwork is superb as well,the flesh tones are the thing that has really struck me,so beautifully done,i'm going to save some of these pictures,the whole piece is a work of art,stunning in my opinion (y):joyful:

Brian
  11. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Lovely work and one of the best I have seen of this model. I can't believe you have used acrylics for this. It looks like you have painted in oils. That is a compliment.
  12. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Thank you for your comments and for the compliment.:) I had a really tough time trying to blend the acrylics in such a big scale. Once I applied a shadow I would then mask it with thin layers (well, sort of) of base color and then again and again and again, oh! the horror of the flesh !!!!;)
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Amazing skin- and redtones!
    And the Fresko on the base - very, very good!

Cheers
  14. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Oh beautiful painting, skin is very realistic.
  15. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Everything about this figure is brilliant in my opinion. I think the subject can carry off the harsher contrasts that you have laid down.
  16. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    That is awesome and great base idea.
    Cheers
    John
  17. Theodoros A Fixture

Greece
    Excellent work dear Arxo, in all aspects.

** Ο πρωταθλητισμός σε ρίχνει στα αναβολικά. Απαλλάξου από το άγχος των μεταλλίων **

facebook.com/StarClubAthens
  18. Theodoros A Fixture

Greece
    Excellent work dear Arxo, in all aspects.

** Ο πρωταθλητισμός σε ρίχνει στα αναβολικά. Απαλλάξου από το άγχος των μεταλλίων **

facebook.com/StarClubAthens
  19. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  20. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Thank you very much!