1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Zaporozhian Cossack (1/10, Young Miniatures)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kaz6120, Aug 5, 2012.

1. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Hi there,

Here's my latest finished project, Young Miniatures' Zaporozhian Cossacks sculpted by Greeny Ahn.
    In boxart he's wearing black shirt, but I painted it in white just for my taste. Any comments are welcome as always, and...hope you like it.
    Zaporozhian-Cossack-Fin01.jpg Zaporozhian-Cossack-Fin02.jpg Zaporozhian-Cossack-Fin03.jpg
  2. Tarracus A Fixture

Great work! I love your style(y)
    kaz6120 likes this.
  3. phc35 Well-Known Member

United-States
    No matter the subject, you render the piece due justice. To me the area around the eyes make him look like he's been staying up very late forseveral nights.

I know little about cossaks,maybe they had red eyes from all the indoor fires for warmth?

Jay
    kaz6120 likes this.
  4. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful work overall. I really like the vivid colors.

Xenofon
    kaz6120 likes this.
  5. Konstantin A Fixture

Ukraine
    Great painting!
    kaz6120 likes this.
  6. kinggeorges Active Member

France
    Hi Kaz,

Beautiful piece you made ! The red of the shirt is very nice.
    The bottom eyelids seem a bit strange for me, I mean the sculpt in itself. You rightly have painted them in a dark tone so that it hide the bad sculpting here.
    Always a pleasure to see your work.
    Best,
    Julien
    kaz6120 likes this.
  7. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Brilliant paint job Kaz.
    Brian
    kaz6120 likes this.
  8. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    The bust rocks!

Cheers
    kaz6120 likes this.
  9. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thanks everybody for nice compliments!
    I notice red looks strong a little bit, I tried to make it look like drunk or unhealthy conditions. :)

maybe because there's many lines, but it is drooped so I think the sculpt itself is not that strange. Maybe I should lighten up or reduce reddish color.
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The leather belt looks a little flat to me Kaz.
    The rest is simply stunning,
    Carl.(y)
    Mike Stevens and kaz6120 like this.
  11. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I like his baggy red bottom eyelids, they go with the nose to make him look like a big drinker. Its great to see a more realistic rendering of a person who is not a poster boy. I also agree with Carl, maybe an extra highlight on the belt would make it stand out more. Great painting
    Ben
    Mike Stevens and kaz6120 like this.
  12. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Superbly painted. I agree with the comments about the belt. In my humble opinion I think the belt, pistol stock and pipe could do with a bit of shine with the addition of a touch of satin or semi-gloss varnish.
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  13. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Very nice Kaz. The skin tones are excellent as usual. I have too agree with Ken about the belt and pistols. They do seem a little flat and lack character,
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Excellent finish Kaz... I just recieved this piece last week and I hope I can do half the job you have done!
    The red tunic and the blue of the hat look very good, nice and rich. If I have one reservation, Cossacks are nomads living in the saddle on a vast open steppe... to that end, except for the drinker's nose and eyes (we do like our horilka;)) he could be a little pale... Maybe a little more sun/wind effect on the face IMHO

Congrats

Colin
    kaz6120 likes this.
  15. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thanks a lot for your critiques, everyone. These kinds of opinions are very very helpful and what I want to receive.
    I will try to add more touch to belt, gunstock, and something pale :) on the face.
    FigureLover likes this.
  16. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hi Kaz

You need not apologize, I take him already!

On the belt could have been rather light and shade and a couple of tracks may be, but that's peanuts!

Cheers

Hendryk
    kaz6120 likes this.
  17. phc35 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Now that you mention what you are going for,"the look" as it was,I see what you are attempting and it works, it looks good. Do not pale it down. Maybe title it
    " The Old Cossack ,told war stories all night" o r something to that effect.
    kaz6120 likes this.
  18. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Thanks a lot for your comments, everyone.
    I updated it, added some more touches to red (deeper shadows and highlights), belt, gun&stock, and golds for sharper look.
    Zaporozhian-Cossack-Fin04.jpg Zaporozhian-Cossack-Fin05.jpg Zaporozhian-Cossack-Fin06.jpg
  19. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Liked it the first time and like it still.Remarkable paint job,love the weather beaten look to the face and i love these eyebags.There's a lot of character in this bust compared to some of the pretty boy ones that you normally see.
    Brian
    kaz6120 likes this.
  20. Maki Active Member

Croatia
    Great, just great. It is always nice seeing constructive critisicm helps out.

You have done an amazing job on a very interesting bust.
    Mario
    kaz6120 likes this.