1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed YS Miniatures, Georgios Drakos 1821, Oils

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by arxo, Feb 20, 2014.

1. arxo Active Member

Greece
    I am very glad to present my latest work. Painted in oils, I consider it to be my best work thus far.
    All comments are welcome,thank you for your time.

P2201586.jpg P2201587.jpg P2201588.jpg P2201589.jpg P2201590.jpg
  2. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Very nice painting of a superb bust, ...Oils Rule! (y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    Wings5797, Paul Kernan and arxo like this.
  3. templar magister Active Member

Greece
    Μια χαρα μαστορα!!!
    Χρηστος (y)
    arxo likes this.
  4. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    Εξαιρετική δουλειά..............
    arxo likes this.
  5. swralph A Fixture

Beautiful painting(y)
    arxo likes this.
  6. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Really nice work! The white shirt has a fine blending, very smooth.

Regards
    Pedro
    arxo likes this.
  7. legend69 Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great job, lovely painting...I would have a go at this bust if I felt confident about getting the whites correct.
    Anthony
    Wings5797 and arxo like this.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Exceptional work.

marc
    arxo likes this.
  9. arxo Active Member

Greece
    @Anthony: By all means go for it. I used only Titanium White and Payne's Gray...so, its mainly light grey (with a blueish tint) and a lot of white layers.

Thank you all
    Wings5797 and legend69 like this.
  10. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Μπράβο φίλε μου. Πραγματικά μια πολύ όμορφη δουλειά.

Xenofon
    arxo likes this.
  11. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautiful paint job, a fine example of what can be done with oils. Many thanks for sharing him with us (y)

Cheers,
    Billy
    arxo likes this.
  12. Trex Well-Known Member

Very nice choice of theme and painting!
    arxo likes this.
  13. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    That is excellent .
    Cheers
    John
    arxo likes this.
  14. Jeff T Well-Known Member

Australia
    Beautiful work!....that is awesome.

The whole lot is just superb, but yes, the white is done very well indeed.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
    arxo likes this.
  15. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Arxo,
    Been waiting for the finished product..I'm one you gave the info on the braids.
    The piece looks superb.....subtle shading on the whites in my eye are just right.The whole piece overall looks excellent.
    But those braids....they look very good on your piece and you've pulled it off very well.But I work mostly in acrylics.And to be honest with you,that is the only thing keeping from starting this piece.
    Anyway.....Great job on what I consider a tough piece...........Will keep it in my file until I get the hair on my ass to start to start my own...................Best regards for continued great work................Wayne
    arxo likes this.
  16. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Amazing finish.
    Keith
    arxo likes this.
  17. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Thank you all, much appreciated !
    @wayneb: thank you again but I strongly suggest that you go for it. And maybe it's a good opportunity to use oils for the braids!!! ;-p
  18. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Great paint ! (y)
    arxo likes this.
  19. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Arxo...............Forgot to ask you;...did you go wet on wet with the whites and shading.Been doing some experimenting with oils.My goal is to be able to use both acrylics and oils ..............Best regards.............Wayne
  20. arxo Active Member

Greece
    @Wayne: First I applied a white layer of acrylics. I believe I did that to only one of the sleeves. On the other one I went straight with titanium white. I did this because the sleeves have a very 'rough' texture and got bored with all the acrylic layers (yes, I know itr sounds insane). I am still trying to grasp the dillutions of oils too. So in general I do this: I apply the first layer of oils. Then I put the piece under the lamp for 30' sessions, perhaps two or three at a time (because I mainly work late at nights I don't have that much time). And usually I start a new paint session either the next day or the day after the next. So I really can't tell you if it's strictly wet-on-wet. I guess the answer is no, because at some point the layers lose their coverage when the oils are all wet and I have to stop. What I noticed is that I can't let it dry for many days, let's say a week. It happened. Then I had to re-apply a white layer and re-paint the grays. I think that I applied at least 3 times the white layer and the gray... hope it helps...others can weigh in and give some solid advise on how to dillute the oils...would appreciate it too...