1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young's Viking Warlord, 10 AD

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Guy, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Viking Warlord, 10 AD
    YH9003
    90mm White Metal
    10 parts
    Sculpted by Young B. Song
    Box Art Painted by Jose Hernandez Sanchez
    Young Miniatures web-site - click here

[IMG]

[IMG]

The second 90mm Viking has been released by Young B. Song, owner of Young Miniatures. If each one gets better as this one has, I look forward to future releases in this era. The Kit is comprised of 10 white matel parts sandwiched between layers of foam in a sturdy black cardboard box.

[IMG]

The kit's main body comes to 3 parts. Upper torso and arms as 2 seperate parts and the lower legs comprising the 3rd part of the body. The helmet is seperate as are the sword & scabbard and pouch. The axe and knife are also cast seperetly so as to add detail and realism to the finished figure. There is also a tiny strap end that attaches to the waist to give the figure more detail.

[IMG]

Below is the upper torso ( excellent dry fit to legs) showing the hair and facial detail as well as the tunic detail.

[IMG]

The arms are cast together and when dry-fitted to the shoulders fit snuggly.

[IMG]

The back is as well detailed as the front clearly showing the seams and embroidery sculpted into the figure.

[IMG]

** Continued in next posting **
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Below we have the lower leg / hip section with crisp detailing of the pants and legging wraps.

[IMG]

Rear view

[IMG]

The kit is furnished with a complete color guide done by Jose Hernandez Sanchez and photos of the front and rear of the figure.

[IMG]

Below are Box Art photos of the figure painted by Jose Hernandez Sanchez and are from the Young Miniature's website

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Conclusion:

I find this to be an excellent figure of the Viking Era with very little seam work and clean-up required. A beautiful addition to any Viking enthusiasts collection.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Guy,

Looks a wonderfull figure after your revieuw.
    Looking to your painting on this one.

Marc
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, thanks for the review. That looks like a super clean kit to say the least. By the way, did you get a new camera? The review pictures are great.~Gary
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks guys for the feedback...........it is an excelent kit.

Marc ~ This one will be cleaned up and started as soon as this heat wave breaks. I do all my clean-up and sanding out in a shop in my garage. Temp there now is 110F and climbing. ( 43.3c). Yesterday the temp went to 121F ( 49.4c) and set new records here.

Gary ~ Not a new camera.....just a new method of taking the photos instead of using a desktop tri-pod. They did turn out well.

Attached Files:

6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    My family thinks I'm nuts when I say I can't wait for winter. I only have a 4 minute drive to work and as long as I get from point A to point B and back again I could care less about the snow. For me Fall and Winter are the most "modelling friendly" of the year. It's really hard to enjoy sculpting when you have sweat running down your forehead.~Gary
  7. michelange Member

France
    Guy and Garry, I feel sorry for you having to work (to paint or to sculpt) in these conditions. In Paris we have 34°c and it's very diffcult to work... Above 40°c it's unimaginable for me :eek:
  8. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi
    It's the same here in the UK
    can't get into anything

I like the heat ... but this is a bit too much... ;)

Great review thanks for posting

Frank
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Our heat wave has finally broken and the temps here this morning are down in the 60's. Good time to get this figure and a couple others cleaned and primed.
  10. RFL Active Member

United-States
    Guy

Appreciate very much the detailed review, especially on the quality of casting and engineering.

Rich
  11. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Is the date of the fiigure correct ? His mode of dress doesn't look much different to the vikings who invaded england in 1066 certainly the sword looks to be of that era