1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Youngs Spartan bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by jcichon, Feb 19, 2011.

1. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    In my ever increasing quest to improve and refine my fleshwork and fleshmix I present Young Miniatures Spartan Bust. A well cast, well sculpted figure as always from our friend in South Korea! I kinda went back to my original fleshmix for this one as I struggled with the previous mix I used on another bust. As always, the pictures are not well done. Pictures are hard for me no matter how many I take.
    I probably stripped and repainted this kit about 8 times before I felt ok with it. The fleshwork is done with oils and the cloak and helmet plume was done in acrylics. The black plume I used Andrea's black set which is tough to work with as you dont see a lot of transitions with it but there are highlights and shadows! The helmet was done with gold printers inks and black oil paint. I tried to make the helmet look battle worn. Dont know if I pulled it off but I tried! SO comments and critiques are welcome. Please point out any weak areas! I am trying to improve my fleshwork so please tell me! Thanks for looking!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Attached Files:

unknown01, JST, napoleonpeart and 2 others like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Can't see much wrong with this Jason, metals and flesh look really well. Perhaps some deeper shade on the plume, but other than that love it.
    Carl.
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason the flesh tones are very good (y)

Mentionables:

- Where the leather meets the flesh shadows could be tightened up to make the leather look snug & touching the flesh. The farther an item is from it's cast shadow surface the more diffused (blurred) a shadow. One the other hand, it could be chalked up as chaffing as well ;)

- Missed a lock of hair behind the ear D:
    Theodoros likes this.
  4. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Gordy! I will correct those mistakes
  5. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I like your flesh, for this scale it looks very acceptable. What Gordy says would tighten it up nicely. The cape is very well shaded and a good deep colour as well. My favorite is the helmetm, I love your weathering and the scratches on it. Nice job all round.
    Ben
  6. Brian Mikulencak New Member

United-States
    Very nice bust! it must have been a joy to paint.
  7. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Jason,thats a very nice result youv'e achieved there,your flesh tones are very good and i like the metal work as well,try not to be too hard on yourself mate youv'e done a great job,well done
  8. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I like this a lot. Great metals and great reds as well as good fleshtones. I think Gordy has the main bits you can improve on. I also like how you've done his hair.
    Maybe as Carl says a little bit more shadows on the plummage and you got yourself a wee smasher.
  9. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Very nice work Jason! Maybe it's just me but is his left eye smaller than the right eye?

I like your version of this bust very much. I think it's next on my list now to buy.

Gary (y)
  10. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    The wonderful fresh tone.
    Indeed it's Spartan.
    The red of a mantle is also very beautiful.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka.
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Like the skintone's. Only the front of the armpit is out of balance.
    You have to lighten it up a bit.

Marc