1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Young's Roman Officer 1st A.d 90mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Andrew Craft, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi all,
    This is my new project from Young Miniatures. I tried to do a little bit if research on the figure but what I found was a bit confusing. There seemed to be a few different views on what the uniform should look like. I'm guessing the sculpt isn't too historically accurate.
    So this is how I started the colour scheme. I read somewhere that the Romans couldn't make this type of chest armour from steel at the time, something do do with how they shaped it or something. And I think if he was an officer he should have had a white tunic.
    Any help regarding this guy would be helpful as the research I did just seemed conflicting (I did try Med Rom Forum but I can only search back 3 months and found nothing).

Thanks, here are some pics of the start but I'm willing to change whatever paint needs to be changed, I can't sculpt to save myself so I have to use whatever is on the figure as is.

Andrew.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351071569.647475.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351071583.192179.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351071596.726294.jpg
  2. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Andrew looking good so far. I'm at the final stages of this figure myself and after a few false starts went down a straightforward bronze brown red grey route.
    All armour bronze, all leather brown, cloak, tunic and crest red, arm 'bandages' and trousers grey. The only relief being silver mounts on the sword and a white metal buckle on the sword belt. I'll post some shots of the fully finished piece next week.
  3. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks mate, I'll keep going as he is then.
  4. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Whooaa! Stunning! Excellent leather- and metaltones!

Cheers
  5. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That leather looks the dogs swingers mate. Following this.
  6. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Andrew,

Dr Mike Thomas on MedRom forum will give you all the information you could possibly want on Roman's if you ask. He'd probably start by suggesting you paint the tunic off-white rather than red, and the cloak too.

I like where this is going mate.
  9. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks everyone, looks like I need to sign up at MedRom then.

Andrew.
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Is that an Aussie term Gells:D

Ron
  11. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The leather looks as good as Gells says.

And who the hell knows what colours the romans actually used ,white I doubt more like a dirty grey.

Ron
  12. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    I assume you have left the casting block to hold the figure but you may have difficulty removing it once the painting is done. Nice progress nonetheless
  13. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    I left it on cause his face looks like he has a chip on his shoulder :)

That whole section hasn't been glued on, it's still as it comes right out if the box. I just placed it on to see where the shadows would fall once the cape was attached.
    Gellso I think you may have just named the guy... Canineus Scrotumnus
    Thanks everyone for the comments
    Gellso likes this.
  14. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Bit of an update, not much though. While waiting for some help from the experts at MedRom I decided to just work on the face. I did do the pants too but they may have to be changed if the colour isn't right.
    Here is where he is at.

Andrew.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351412640.929046.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351412658.857996.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351412670.524120.jpg
    Blind Pew, tonydawe and Meehan34 like this.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Coming along nicely Andrew.
  16. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Tony, it was seeing your recent Romans that inspired me to get this guy.

A few colour changes today after Dr Mike over at MedRom kindly helped me out with uniform info. The tunic is now a creamy white with purple stripes running down each shoulder to the seam. Also I started on the cape which I decided to paint a dull red. I'm going to try keep the colour tones muted on this one.

Thanks for looking, if something needs fixing or you have some advice feel free to let me know.

Andrew.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351592323.351160.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351592335.024623.jpg
    Tarracus likes this.
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Andrew.
    Carl.(y)
  18. Mark S Guest

Nice work Andrew.
  19. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I look forward to seeing the end result, so far so good mate.
  20. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Coming along nicely