1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young's MG34 Gunner.

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by housecarl, Mar 17, 2012.

1. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I'll throw myself to the wolves with this.o_O;)
    Still a fair bit to do,
    Carl.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      208.6 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      183.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      194.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      220.3 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      173.2 KB
      Views:
    NickM, Tommi, Ventress and 2 others like this.
  2. Pepperpot Active Member

Germany
    I hope that I am not overstepping a line here, as I am still struggling at my beginner painting steps myself, commenting someone with clearly so much more experience and skill. If I do, please tell me and I will shut up.
    I really love the bust so far, the worn leather looks great, the wood as well. I love what you have done with the watch, it looks nearly real.
    Some of the highlights of the skin can not keep up yet though. I don't know if it is the lighting on pictures, but the area at the base of the thumb looks a bit chalky. Also the highlights on the fingers seem a bit too bright or too abrupt.
    To me, it feels that the little highlights in the lower corners of the mouth are a bit too bright much. I mean no disrespect, but the first thought that popped into my head was "Hey, vampire fangs".
    I've tried to come up with a quick animated GIF:

housecarl.gif

Don't get me wrong, I really love the bust!

Sebastian
    Pops, Meehan34 and gordy like this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thank for taking the time to comment, and go to the trouble to do the animation. It looks like he's dribbling.:LOL:
    I'll have another look at the points you've raised.
    Thanks again, very helpful,
    Carl.(y)
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    I agree with Sebastion, the highlights on the lower jaw need to go, it makes him look like he has chipmunk cheeks.

Carl, you're improving leaps, the leather, wood grain and German grey tunic are top notch.
    Meehan34 likes this.
  5. Ferris A Fixture

Those animated pictures are really neat!

I think you're doing a great job on this one Carl. I can only suggest some darker tones in the nedk and below the jaw area. The facetones really come to life if you use subtle green and blue veils. With the emphasis on subtle that is! And maybe you could use some very dark shadows between the fingers, to make them stand out a bit more.

Great work on the leather bits by the way! They look just real. Is it Grant's technique?
    The machine also looks good.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Five o clock shadow may enhance things a bit , I would also line around the pockets a bit , but that's just a style thing that I like. Got to agree with Gordy you just go from strength to strength. Mind you no bloody wonder the work output at the moment :cool:
  7. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some great stuff here Carl. The leather, wood and tunic as mentioned is great. I also like the colour of the hair which is much more pleasing than the box art cartoon version.
    These animated gifs are excellent to explain and show the differences.
    Definitely heading towards pro with this one mate.
  8. LVM Active Member

Belgium
    Juste one question: do the watches indicate the same hour ? :ROFLMAO:

I agree with what have been said. I also think that you can underline further some details (e.g. the seams, the buttons, ...). They looks a bit lost in the uniform. So do not hesitate to underline them (y) I like very much the way you painted the leather and the wood of the MG42.

Laurent
  9. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    I agree with the previous comments. I really think this is looking good, possibly your best yet.
  10. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    ohhh god! Carl, this is awesome my friend, with the increase of five o´clock shadow (just a little ) and the highlight in lower jaw, you probably gonna win your deserved medal in next Euro;) and I will be there to see, yes!!!!!(y)

Pedro.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Carl,

Just one point about 5 o'clock shadow - he's a blue-eyed, blonde German. He's unlikely to have a dark 5 o'clock shadow. I'd go very easy on the 5 o'clock shadow mate.

Personally I'd add a few very dilute washes of red (vermillion) to his cheeks, ears, lips, chin and forehead to help get some depth and variation into the skintones. The skintone looks a bit flat to me.
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for having a look. The leather is just various browns over an orange base, with some Citadel inks to unify everything.
    The watches are different time Laurent, it was a bit hit and miss painting that fine.
    Thanks again,
    Carl.(y)
  13. itsonlyakit Member

Canada
    I would like to add, that the iris's of the eyes are well done but could have been larger in proportion to the eye sockets. The sculpt is not squinting so more iris could or should be seen. Cheers eh.
  14. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Carl
    I've only just seen this mate,another good paint job from you mate,i like the way youv'e handled the field grey tunic,i keep meaning to buy this but i keep putting it off,well done mate (y)(y)
  15. Ventress Well-Known Member

England