1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Young's Gladiator Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Andrew Craft, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Next step was to start freehanding in the basic pattern with the flesh tone, it took a few coats to cover the grey but this is the only way I can freehand this style of pattern.

Attached Files:

2. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Next I colored in those black areas with the flesh but wanted some of the grey to show through

Attached Files:

3. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Then fill those areas with patterns and lines and tidy up some of the other lines and this is what I have. I'm sure there is probably an easier way to do it but as I said I can only do that pattern from my head this way. Hope that explains how I did it.
    In these last pics I still have to do the skin tone washes, which will help tone it all down a bit.

Attached Files:

Steve likes this.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Superb!!(y)
    Carl.
  5. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work Andrew and, slaves from all over the empire were made to fight in the arenas, so who's to say or not, that some didn't have tats eh ! Works for me.

Regards

Ron
  6. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks guys, glad you like it.
    Here is the piece at the end of the day. I'd would appreciate what you think of the face, I'm thinking it's just about there but I've been staring at it all day.
    Thanks,
    Andrew.

Attached Files:

7. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bloody hell that's good.
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The face's subtle colour variations look well. Not too extreme, and I think that looks better in a larger scale.
    Carl.
  9. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanx for sharing the tattoo technique Andrew , looks a great way to go about it. The face looks good the skin tones could be from several areas so wouldn't
    worry to much as long as you don't get the dead coal miner effect that
    megroot hates so much:lol:
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I'm liking this andrew,great work on the tattoo and the flesh work.

Brian (y)
  11. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Man, that is just great work. Great imagination and great execution!!
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Stunning work.
    Like the SBS of the Tattoo.
    Face looks now great to me.

Marc
  13. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    I love the tats and the face looks very good. This is really outstanding work. In 1990 I got drunk with some Maori's in a New Zealand bar and judging from that expierience you wouldn't want to mess with this gladiator. Maybe turn him into a Moahunter?
  14. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks guys I appreciate the input. Now that I have the face tones I can move on to the rest.
  15. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    definitely getting there mate. Will this be the 14th subject you've managed to finish in 3 days? Amazing work rate. Almost as fast as Carl.
  16. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    No Grant this one got done about a month ago. Carl is still way ahead he can manage vignettes of five figures at a time :D
  17. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    That vignette has been ticking over for about 6 months. Still a phenomenal work rate Andrew.
    Carl.:whistle: