1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young's Ardennes GI Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well boys and girls. Here's my version of Young Miniature's Ardennes US GI bust. Sculpted by the more than capable hands of Mr. Huroyuki Ishii (I bow in humble respect!), and cast perfectly by Young, this bust is one to write home about! Flawless details, great subject, just can't say enough good things about it! I did a little research and found out the 1st infantray division was deployed to Bullingen, Belgium in the Ardennes, in Dec. of '44 at the onset of the Battle of the Bulge. My version is painted as an early deploy from that time period. This allowed a bit of fun with painting the "Big Red One" shield on the helmet. The only thing I added to this piece was the extra "ring" towards the top of the gun in wire. All painted in oils over acrylics, and the metalics are printers inks mixed with oils. Oh, and about the brass buttons on the jacket, I was told that the early jackets had these and the later ones (aproximately this time period) had the greenish plastic buttons. I decided he was wearing an NOS ("new old stock" for those that know custom and classic car tems) so that I could get a better contrast visually. I don't want to start a debate about "history vs artistic liscense" here, just thought it looked better, and created a better contrast visually that's all! I really pushed my usually darker flesh tones to be much more lighter this time. I really wanted the look of "cold". I added extra reds to my flesh palette to emphasize this (much more on the nose and under/around the eyes). I have a couple close-ups of the face, and one of the hand (that one just because I was proud of the way I was able to detail the fingernails with the cuticle and all!). Hope you like it, any and all comments are welcome. Thanks for looking!

Jay H.
    Okc

Attached Files:

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Jay. I had the opportunity to see this in the flesh and the photos do not do it justice........simply awesome painting.
  3. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Great work Jay!!

You certainly know how to chuck a bit of paint around my friend. Truly fantastic!

Very Well Done !!!

Carl
  4. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Lovely piece Jay. Very realistic. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Xenofon
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Fantastic work Jay.

Roger.
  6. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    fantastic!

beautifully clean and spot on!

Mark
  7. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wow a true work of art, great painting.

Cheers Ken
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jay,

Fantastic paint job mate. This is an awesome bust and you've done a great job on it. Interestingly, all the versions I've seen of this bust on pF look very different and unique.
  9. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful work my friend. This piece is the evidence that a well sculpted piece helps painter a lot. Your skills rise a lot over a well defined sculpture. I like all details and effects you have performed and i think this one is definately among your best works, if not the best yet !!!

My congratulations

Costas
  10. Kveto Bradac Member

Sudan
    Hello Jay,

It is very heavy to say which part of this figure is good or better .I like very much your painting and entire colour spectrum you used. Its appearance looks realy cold and is responsible to the situation.

Kveto
  11. RFL Active Member

United-States
    Excellent Painting

Superb and subtle work on the blending Jay, but the eyes are just great !
  12. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thats a real nice job Jay, exellent result.

Steve
  13. Martin Vlcek Active Member

Czech-Republic
    Hi
    Superb paint, congratulation .Martin
  14. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hello, Jay.
    The feel of a material of the soldier's clothes is wonderful.
    Very artistic.

Mitsutaka
  15. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Nice work my friend. Hope to see it live in Chicago

Stephen Mallia
  16. caramba Well-Known Member

Poland
    Well done! I like it.
    M.
  17. "Tarakaman" New Member

United-States
    Excellent job!! The photograhy is spot on!! Can't wait to see whats next form the Sambaman!
  18. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Jay,Fantastic painting.Very realistic.Great attention to detail.

Kind regards,John:)
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent paintwork on this marvelous bust.

Marc
  20. MattS Active Member

United-States
    Great work, Jay! I've got this one on my workbench and will keep your version as reference.

Matt