1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young Thracian Peltast by Georgi Stamov

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Oda, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Oda A Fixture

Georgi Stamov (PF member Ryan_bg) is a gifted sculptor from Bulgaria.He first caught my attention when he posted one of his works (Late Roman slinger,resin,75mm) on PF.I acquired that figure and was sufficiently impressed to be more interested in his releases.
    Recently I received his two latest releases and decided to make two open box reviews as I feel he deserves the forum's attention.
    First figure reviewed is a young Thracian peltast,in 54mm,cast in resin.Georgi has created a wonderful figure,carefuly recreating a young man's features.The pose is a very dynamic one,off balance ,with one foot off the ground as if ready to launch one of his javelins using his full body in order to achieve maximum force.The tunic is very convincing,probably made from home spun wool.He is lightly armed with a short romphaia (characteristical Thracian weapon) and a light,crescent shaped shield,made from wicker work and covered with leather on the outside (allowing for some embelishment on an otherwise sombre figure).The javelins provided are very delicate ,as expected for such thin pieces in resin and are a testimony to Georgi's casting.
    All in all a handsome figure with great anatomy and pose full of convincing detail and historically accurate.The pics are from my cell phone and not the best possible but will give you all an idea of Georgi's work. Thracian 5.jpg Thracian 4.jpg Thracian 3.jpg Thracian 2.jpg Thracian 1.jpg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Oda

Interesting figure and well done on raising the profile of the sculptor , like the pose of the piece , the foot off the ground works well

Not a complicated figure for painting but nice details , the shield in particular and a blank canvas for the front

Thanks for taking the time to share and as for Georgi .....keep sculpting ...perhaps a bust ?

Nap
    Ryan_bg and Oda like this.
  3. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Nice start..he’s got some way to go but he’s trying to get the youth of the guy and movement..feet and clothing drape might be starting points to work on
    Ryan_bg and Oda like this.
  4. MrBMB A Fixture

I like the pose and the stance is believable, I like the attempt at the full face as well
    Thanks for showing :)
    Ryan_bg, Oda and grasshopper like this.