1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Young The Chosin Few

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Rompy, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi pF,

I am trying a cold color scheme to reflect the bitter cold conditions at Chosin during the Korean War. The shadows were achieved with some prussian blue and purple madder to the base color. Some alizarine was glazed onto the cheeks for some red.

Personally i think the more highlights and shadows are needed.

Would like to appreciate comments and advice :)

[IMG]
  2. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    some progress this evening. going to have to find some pics of the marine uniform :)

[IMG]
    Joe55 likes this.
  3. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    The figure's left eye appears centered while the right one is not. Other than that, I think he's turning out nicely. I look forward to seeing him done up.

Joe
  4. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks Joe ! I saw that too after i took the photo. Somehow i don't realise the eye is off centre during painting but photos don't lie :)
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Not a problem Sir, glad to help! I like to think that's what PF is all about, and believe me I've had lots of folks help me.

Joe
  6. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    A quick WIP shot :)

[IMG]
  7. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Another shot of the progress over the weekend. :)

[IMG]
  8. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi pF,

i am trying to paint the words stamped on the ammo bandolier. Is there a neat way to paint it ? Like a stencil of sorts ? My freehand is not that good. It looks like this.

[IMG]

my progress thus far ...

[IMG]
  9. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    fantastic paintwork
  10. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Another bunch of WIP shots, slowing working my way up to the helmet. The helmet will spot the "duck hunter' camo. Will be interesting to try as camo is not my forte :)

As always comments and critiques are welcomed :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Joe55 likes this.
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice. Keep pushing those highlights on the jacket.
  12. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Yes, that is looking great!

Very nice work Rompy.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  13. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    He's coming out nicely. I look forward to see how you handle the helmet camo cover.

Joe
  14. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    For the writing on the ammo bandolier I have used a Micron pen. If your slow and steady and have a plan on where it will go, it can turn out nice. Give it a wash with the base color after the ink has dried to "blend" it in.
    Works good-
    Scott
  15. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Attempt at the duck hunter camo. Not an easy camo to paint. Especially with the 5 different colors... test of patience.

Some WIP pics :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hi pF,

Calling this bust done. Decided to forgo painting the markings on the ammo bandolier. Maybe next time :) It was a good experience working on the duck hunter camo as it was a first for me. Trying to strike a balance between the 5 colors was tough. The olive drab pattern did not stand out as much as the rest of the 4 colors.

Here are the pics of the completed bust. As always appreciate any comments/critiques. There's always room for improvement :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    tonydawe and billyturnip like this.
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Lovely job. Probably the only comment I can make is that the edges of the moustache look a bit neat and regular, and this detracts from what is otgherwise a pretty good face. I'd soften that edge with a few more lines of whiskers.
  18. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks Tony ! Yup should rough up the edges a bit :)
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Stunning work all around.

marc
  20. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    My brother was kind enough to do a "boxart photo" for me :)

Little did i realise the background i chose is the one Young used for his boxart. So to completed the picture, i "borrowed" the 1st Marines insignia from his boxart as well :p I guess imitation is the best form of flattery ... :)

[IMG]
    sd0324 and Joe55 like this.