1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young Roman Centurion Bust complete!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well boys and girls, I haven't posted work in quite some time. Here is my latest effort. It's a commission piece I did for a gentlemen I met while in Chicago. It's Young Miniature's Roman Centurion, basically painted per the box art. I kept the metallics worn and subtle as this guy looks to be suited in his working duds and on campaign, another classic piece from the hands of Mr. Song. All went together smooth and fit well. This bust is notorious for the top crest not fitting quite right. I went ahead and only secured it in the back. I added a leather tie there (lead foil) to secure the crest from the rear. The front wouldn’t reach by any stretch, so I simply cut down and painted the front mount as a “rivet” embellishment. If I had my druthers, I would probably go ahead and cut the crest and lengthen it to fit front and rear…………next time! All painted in oils, the metalics are printers inks mixed with my oils. Hope you like it, thanks for looking! Any and all comments are, as always, welcome!

Jay H.
    OKC

Attached Files:

napoleonpeart likes this.
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    WOW.......Jay you did an outstanding job on the classic bust. Beautiful painting my friend. A lucky collector indeed.
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, check's in the mail per usual! HA! Thanks bud!

Jay H.
    OKC
  4. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Beauty, Jay. The red crest looks great. Metals too. :)

Keith
  5. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    He looks like he could start barking out orders any minute. Congratulations on another beautiful bust Jay!
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Glen, Keith, many thanks gents!

Jay H.
    OKC
  7. Mark S Guest

Beautiful work,Jay.
    Well done.
  8. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful work on a classic piece. I have it standing there, so yours is really inspiring !!!! Congrats
  9. tefaet Active Member

Spain
    Nice work, I like the metals.
    Congratulations ,Jose Luis
  10. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very good painting overall,good work my friend Jay!
    chris
  11. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Jay that's a really great piece of work...on a great bust. Congrats my friend.

Xenofon
  12. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Jay
    Very nice job.What did you use for your unercoat before applying the printers ink mix for the armour,very well rendered metals.
    Brian
  13. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Extremeley well execution Jay, and thanks for your crest tips as I have to paint this dude as a commission as well in the future :D

Ray ;)
  14. Excatlon Active Member

Poland
    what can i say!!!!

WOW!!!
  15. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent work!! Great metals.
  16. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mark, Costas, Jose , Chris, Xenofon, Brian, Ray, Damian, Marcel,
    Gentlemen, many thanks! Appreciate the kind words!

Brian, as far as the metals are concerned, here is what I do. The base for all the metalics is an undercoat of black acrylic. I'm still experimenting with metals (so bear with me). What I did next was mix up a dark version of either the silver or gold and lay that down. What I mean by this is that I mixed silver printers ink with black, and gold printers ink with raw umber in the cae of the gold bits and layed a nice dark base metalic over each respective part. From there, when I actually start painting I actually use black oil as my shadow color and after I have nudged a bit of that down in all the creases, I start bringing in increasing amounts of the silver or gold inks to brighten up the areas just as I would with any other colors (effectively using increasing amounts of the printers inks as highlights). The more I move up and out of the creases the more and more straight printers ink I'm blending into the broader flat areas. I actually went ahead and dullcoated the whole piece to keep with a muted "used" look, and then when done I go back in with the printers inks on a brush and dry brush some straight metalic highlights back onto the highest bits and large flat areas. This brings a nice little sheen to the braodest areas again. I had a friend help me shoot these images and we used some nice defused lighting. It has a way of evening out the metalics and didn't show the highest brights off nearly as well as in person, but you get the idea. Hope that makes sense! Thanks for the comments gents!

Jay H.
    OKC
  17. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great, Jay! I always enjoy seeing your top quality work. Any chance you'll ever do a full figure??

Jason
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice work Jay. Jason makes a good point, have you ever painted a pair of boots? :D

Roger
  19. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Amazing work! o_O really impresive!
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Jay,
    I must say that you have done some extremely paintjob. That collector must pay you two times. Infact, i never could do him away.
    Painting another could be an option.
    Great, great work.

marc