1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Young Pirate bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by khorgor, Feb 7, 2010.

1. khorgor Member

Australia
    Hi everyone.

As Tony and Ben have started posting up their WIP's for the group build of Young’s pirate bust, I thought, as another member of HMFS on Figure Planet, I would join in with posting my WIP.

I would like to thank Ian (Busso Boy) and Young miniatures for giving us this opportunity.
    Feedback is encouraged and appreciated!!

So to start, I cut off the pirate’s moustache, gave him a lip stud and nose stud (which has come off. So need to give him another). The first idea was to make him a half-caste with lots of jewellery and war paint.

The monkey got his tassels cut off and coat resulted. The rest of the clothes were cut up and damaged to show wear and tear of being worn by a wild animal.

After working on the face for a day, I saw the original idea was not going to work, so with advice, I’m leaving him as is and will continue working on his face to get a more Mediterranean look. However...he does seem a bit sick at the moment.....
    The monkey also got changed from my original idea from albino to the dirty brown/black one you see now.

Enjoy the photos!

Attached Files:

gordy likes this.
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Scott,

Good start mate. It's a good idea to move on to another part of the figure when you stuck on the face, and go back to it later.

As I mentioned to you last Tuesday night, I think you could do with some deeper shadows on the skin to increase the contrast. It might be helpful for you to paint the eyes in first and then finish the face. The fine lines you've painted onto the cloak over his shoulder are very good and add some extra details for the eye to focus on.
  3. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Good one Scott, I'm glad you steered away from the half-cast look on the skin tone. You are putting some good detail on this one. Keep it up.
    Ben
  4. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    I think you're off to a very good start. I like the soft pastel colours that you
    have put in those stripes on his blanket(?) or shawl. . . or whatever that is
    over his shoulder. And I would like to see you use some of those colours in
    other parts of the bust. Just a matter of my personal taste you understand.
    I am big on colour harmony in a presentation. And so that is why I say that.
    Good start,

Kansas Kid
  5. khorgor Member

Australia
    updates - hooray

Sorry this thread has been quiet people. Been doing stuff for my house and as such have had no time to paint.

But here is an update. Hope you like and please, as always, leave comments as they are highly appreciated!!!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  6. khorgor Member

Australia
    Moar updates

almost done!!!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I just need one little thing to finish the base and then this one is complete!!!
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Good work Scotty. I'm looking forward to seeing this at WASMEx mate.