1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young Miniatures US Infantry, Ardennes 1944 - 1/10th scale bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jan 27, 2009.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Planeteers,

Here are the final pics of the completed bust.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and encouragement on my WIP thread.:D

Hope you like it.:)

As always comment/ criticisms are welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Mark S Guest

Very nice,Tony.
    How do you get that texture on the head can.
    Beautiful choice of colours all over!
    I'd like to see more definition though in the shadows and highs of the coat!
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great finish to the bust Tony,i like how you have tackled the different textures to the figure,cloth,metal,wood etc all look good.

Steve
  4. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice work Tony , and at a big bust like this , you have made quite an effort. Bravo

Costas
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Mark & Steve,

Thanks fellas I appreciate your comments.

Mark, the helmet is sculpted with this texture. The only thing I did was adda bit of mud and crap with pastels and then gave it a very light dry brush just to bring out the details.

I agree with your comment about more definition on the coat. I'd probably leave it for a few more days and start on something else,and thencome back to it with a set of fresh eyes and make some final adjutsments.

Steve, the texture on the overcoat was created by lightly stipling talcum powder on the surface while the primer was drying and then blowing most of the execess away.

The wood grain was achieved by adding small dabs of dark brown and orange brown pastels onto the "wooden" surfaces,spraying on dullcoat to seal the pastels and then applying the normal highlights and shadows. The metals are just painted on with thinned acrylics.
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Costas my friend, I'm glad you like it.
  7. dinovision79 Active Member

Hungary
    Hey Tony,

excellent as usual! The textures and colours are really spot on, especially like how the metals look and the flesh colours.
    My only critisism would be the cigarette, it's a little bulky in shape and looks a tad bit to me.

Thank for sharing! :)
    Denes
  8. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Congratulations.

Congratulations.:)
    Your work is wonderful as usual.
    I think an expression of a texture is very effective.;)
    The color of the clothes and the color of the skin are also beautiful.
    An amazing bust model.:)
  9. CGQ Member

China
    Nice work ,it looks great!
  10. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Nice work, Tony, on this awesome bust. I just got my copy about a week ago. How did you go about bending and shaping the rifle strap?

Jason
  11. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tony, over all a fantastic effort! I think the colors work well. One really small point, and I wish I would have seen this before during the WIP, but the M1's barrel feels just a tad long at the business end. I wouldn't have noticed except I am working on this very bust at the moment and my research (some would say I do far too little) shows me that the end should be a bit shorter. I've attached an image for reference. Don't let me spoil the fun here though, great stuff for sure!

Jay H.
    OKc

Attached Files:

12. Hardy Guest

Great work mate. Hardy
  13. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A lovely piece,

well done

:)

mark
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Denes, Mitsutaka, CGQ & Jason,

Thanks very much for your kind words.

Denes, who says he's smoking a cigarette??? He could have something else in there besides tobacco.

Jason, I found the rifle strap the hardest part to fit, and I left it until last. I bent and shaped it using a hair dryer set on hot and just heated the resin until it became pliable. When it was in the right position I switched the hair dryer to Cold, and viola!
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Jay, you bloody scoundrel AAaaarrrrggghhhhhh. ;););) I'll just have to live with the knowledge that my barrel is too long.:D:D:D Seriously mate, good luck on your bust, can we see some WIP pics as you go. You know I try to get my research done as thoroughly and accurately as possible, but I think I'll allow Young Miniatures to take the credit for this error. Thanks mate, I greatly appreciate your comments.

Hardy & Mark, thanks for your kind words fellas and for not pointing out the rifle barrell is too long;):D Ireally appreciate your encouragement.
  16. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Another nice addition to the display cabinent

Tony does another winner!!

Like the way you have varied the approach to textures and so forth....

May steal ideas from you when I get another bust!

Cheers

Check that - will steal ideas!
  17. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nice work Tony!!!
    christos
  18. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Fantastic piece Tony!
    One of your best works.

Regards,
    Marcel.
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jamie, Christos and Marcel,

Thank you very much for your comments guys, they are greatly appreciated.