1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book Young Miniatures - US 2nd Ranger Battalion Normandy 1944

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Piotrec, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Piotrec Active Member

United-States

US 2nd Ranger Battalion Normandy 1944
    1/10 Bust Resin
    YM1848
    Master by Young B Song
    Painted by Kirill Kanaev

01a.jpg

One of the latest release from Young Miniatures. The miniatures arrives in a sturdy black box with parts being places between two layers of foam. The number of total parts in the kit is four plus a resin plinth.

01.jpg 02.jpg

Pictures of the head
    09.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg

Pictures of the torso
    03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg

Accessories
    15.jpg

Dry fitting
    16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg

There are some small casting blocks that need to be removed. Which I have done without any problems prior dry fitting. You can perfectly see that casting is exceptional as well as fitting.

Highly recommended bust.
    T50, ARTEM, NickM and 6 others like this.
  2. Blue Thunder A Fixture

Portugal
    I have to thank you highly for this review! :)

I was extremely happy upon release ... but my enthusiasm went away after some comments referring an over sized neck. And somehow the painting enlarged that effect.

Sure Mr. Hanks neck is quite robust:

[IMG]

Even if I find the sculpture's neck a little bit thicker than it should be, correction is not a hard task to tone down.:)

What I personally miss a bit is the helmet, even as an option and the M5 Assault Gasmask Bag. But that is largely compensated by the great likeness Young Song captured with this miniature. My enthusiasm went up again!
    Piotrec likes this.
  3. swralph A Fixture

Thanks for showing Piotrec.This is a great looking bust.
    Piotrec likes this.
  4. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Nice looking bust, i think you can tell it of Tom Hanks but i dont think its a brilliant likeness
  5. Blue Thunder A Fixture

Portugal
    I just got a message about the mask I mentioned. :) Better portrait here too. This is the M5 mask that was carried in the torso of the initial waves of disembarking rangers during the epic D-Day:

[IMG]

I personally think the mask is a must needed add on to properly represent the early hours of D-Day, as this figure represents too the early scenes. Check his uniform, please folks.

There is a quick solution, even if a bit expensive. Not alone for the mask but for those wishing an helmet too.

One can attempt to use these parts from LB Miniatures US Big Red One D-Day:

[IMG]

But the mask is not difficult thing to sculpt. For the helmet, I am also remembering as a hypothesis the long gone Warriors 1/9 US and German helmet sets.
    Piotrec likes this.