1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Young Miniatures, Spartan

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by joegabo, Jul 25, 2011.

1. joegabo Member

Canada
    Hello,

My first attempt at posting/taking pictures. Hope it works, if it does let me know what you think. (the good, the bad, and the ugly):

Take care,
    Joe

Attached Files:

2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work Joe, thanks for sharing :)

The photos are clear, the light however is a bit "spot lighty" some ambient diffused light would be helpful, perhaps even a shot under some sunlight ;)
  3. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Hi Joseph. The way you´ve painted this bust is really different, specially the metals, as it seems by the pics is closer to iron than to bronze. About the eyes, the light blue of them and his raising position, give to his expression something supernatural. I think this spartan is more closer to the Olympus that of the earth. I like it.

http://www.mininet.tv/egminiatures.html
  4. joegabo Member

Canada
    Hello,

Gordy, thanks for the tips and comment, will try to take some better pic's of my next bust. (may try out doors thanks for the idea) I did have wax paper over the lights I used, but as you said there still is glare. (Need to slap myself more often for being lazy, and not fixing it prior to posting. hehe)

Edorta, appreciate the comment. I do try to make my pieces my own, both in colour and feel. Glad it came through as I did try to convey a "godly"/arrogant/self superior feel as I figure most successful spartans would have seen themselves/been as such. (and I do like trying to use a lot of dramatic lighting effects, well as much as I can at my skill level)

Many thanks,
    Joe
  5. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
  6. joegabo Member

Canada
    Hello,

Mike, thanks for the link.

Take care,
    Joe
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I think you are doing a good job.
    If you want you can rework the left eye....it is not the same as the right and that looks very unnatural.
    Maybe you can smooth the hard lines that you created on the skin specially into the highlight. They look very unnatural, and there are no ribs shining trough that musculature. It looks now more fantasy then a Hoplite.

Marc
  8. joegabo Member

Canada
    Hello,

Thanks for the input Mark, I will take a closer look at the points you made. As for it looking more fantasy then Hoplite, hehe that is probably because I enjoy fantasy much more then history. (I like to think of it as "historical-fantasy" or "fantastical-history") Either way though its great to hear how others see things as one can become somewhat complacent in how things seem to ones self, thank you very much for your comments.

Take care,
    Joe