1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young Miniatures "Sioux Indian"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Right after I shot the photos for the figure review of this kit I kept the parts out so I could prepare him for painting. Making sure all the casting blocks were cleaned off and the dry-fitting of the parts was good as I paint and assemble as I go with each figure / bust.

Drilling out the bottom of the head for a brass rod and then fastening the head and chest section to a work base I proceeded to spray prime the parts with Floquil R9 gray primer.

The next step was to undercoat the flesh areas with Humbrol #121 and each area got 2 coats for the flesh.

ySioux 01.JPG

ySioux 02.JPG ySioux 03.JPG

After waiting over night after the second coat of Humbrol undercoat I started the fleshing out of all areas which was the head and hand. I use Windsor & Newton oils for my flesh.

ysioux 04.JPG ysioux 05.JPG

ysioux 06.JPG ysioux 07.JPG

ysioux 08.JPG ysioux 09.JPG

On the work bases below I have the left arm pegged to the work base for painting. The hand was fleshed out at the same time the head was done.

ysioux 10.jpg

All comments / questions welcomed

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Although my colors may vary from the box art I quite often take the box art photos when available and crop out areas and enlarge them for reference. The main change will be the hair locks on the arm and chest will not be colors of blue. In no references I have have I ever seen the scalp locks or in this case hair locks painted shades of blue.

Here are the photos I cropped for quill pattern reference:

close 1.jpg

close 2.jpg

close 3.jpg

close 4.jpg

close 5.jpg

And a close up of the Eagle head pipe.

close 6.jpg

In my next posting I will post other references I have for quill designs for native American Sioux Indians.

3. giorgiomalteser Active Member

Malta
    Beautiful work Guy, hope to see more soon.
  4. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Looking good already Guy!!!

Ray ;)
  5. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    This is an amazing bust,good start,needs a lot of patience!
    chris
  6. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Sioux Busts.

VERY NICE start Guy !! I like your use of Humbrol 121 as a base coat,
    and your oils upper coat, will be great to see the finished article, I have recently completed the older old Andrea Sitting Bull in his days at Buffalo Bills
    Wild West Show, very nice if you can get hold of.

Many thanks for posting, RobH.:eek:
  7. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice start Guy, that face looks a real treat to paint.
    Cheers
    Tommi
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That''s a great face to paint, and you started it very well Guy.
    Looking forward to your next posting.

Marc
  9. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    ~ Giorgio ~ Ray ~ Chris ~ Rob ~ Tommi ~ Marc ~
    Thanks guys for your kind words. More progress posted this weekend.
  10. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Guy,Very nice work.Great face.Look forward to see him progress.

regards,John:)
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks John for the kind words. I think doing both of Carl's creations should be enjoyable too.

It seems I owe Sang an apology as I have received references that the hair locks were dyed blue for some shirts.

The first photos below were sent to me by Carl Reid and were the references Sang used for the box art painting.

Sioux war shirts.jpg

Sioux war shirts1.jpg

Here are a couple more war shirt examples. The bottom photo shows a close-up of the chest portion of the shirt.

shirt-details-1-image-1.jpg

shirt-details-1-image-2.jpg

12. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Good to see both these fantastic busts being painted.A great testament to Carl's excellent sculpting.

Cheers David
  13. Ulrich PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    Hi Guy

found this in an very old magazine. Seems to be the illustration of your warshirt-photo
    I following very interested your painting of the two bust, because both are on my wish list.

Ulrich

Attached Files:

14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks David and Ulrich for the encouraging words.

Ulrich ~ That is the same shirt only a different and full photo.
  15. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Guy,
    Great looking so far.
    Cheers
    John
  16. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    not a subject or era i know much about, but these new busts from Carl Reed and this one particularly are facinating...

i shall be following closly

Mark
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks John and Mark for your feedback.

Thursday I took a day off from painting to take care of some other duties and returned this morning to make some progress with the bust. The buckskin shirt was shaded with highlights to do yet and the quill work area was base coated a medium gray as a base coat for white quill work. I will do all the quill work in white first and then after deciding on a pattern paint in the other colors of quills.

ySioux 11.JPG

ySioux 12.JPG ySioux 13.JPG

Below you can see the khaki colored buckskin dark shaded as well as the quill area painted in a medium gray which will give the quills depth after dry-brushing the very tops of the quills with white.

ySioux 14.JPG

ySioux 15.JPG ySioux 16.JPG

ySioux 17.JPG ySioux 18.JPG

Not much done to the head except give the hair a second coat of weathered black and paint the eye socket area black.

ySioux 19.JPG

ySioux 20.JPG ySioux 21.JPG

All comments / questions welcomed.

18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    After 3 separate dry-brushings of white over the Quill area this one is now ready for the beadwork designs to be painted in with the other colors.

ySioux 22.JPG

ySioux 23.JPG

All comments welcomed.
  19. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work so far Guy! Can't wait to see your quilwork magic!

Jay H.
    Okc
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looking very good. Keep them coming.

Marc