1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young miniatures Roman Signifer

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Rob D, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Rob D New Member

United-States
    OK I am still a novice when it comes to painting busts.

I got the above mentioned figure bust as a Christmas gift.

Can those on her who have painted one of these please advise on the best place to start? And how you did it? More the modelling stage please.

The helmet fur section and the main body is not a good fit. Can you remember if you had to do a lot of re-working to get these sections to meet well, and in which order you painted and fixed pieces?

Cheers

Rob
  2. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Rob, I haven't done this specific bust but I have painted several other busts by Young (the first Spartan and the Athenian). I've found for resin a hot blow dryer can soften up some of the pieces and help you bend them into place. I used this technique to get the crest on the spartan helmet to lay correctly on his shoulder. If the fit is still off, you can use a dremel to quickly grind away what you need (beware, you can take too much off very quickly) and then use some putty to fill in the gap. However I would avoid that if at all possible.

As for painting, if the cheek peices are separate I tend to leave them off until I finish painting the face and neck region. That should make maneuvering the brush a lot easier. Based on what I can see, I would assemble the rest of the model (except the cheek pieces) and then start painting. I usually start with the face but that's more a matter of personal preference. Once the head is done, I'd paint the back and sides of the cheek plates and glue them into place. Quick note, some glues can eat away at the paint... even their fumes can mar your hard work. After I glue any pre-painted parts I always place the figure in front of a fan.

If you want more advice, post some pictures of the model in peices. There are a lot of smart experienced modelers here. While they may not have done this specific figure, I'm sure many could offer some advice if they see the peices you're working with.

Looks like a fun project, enjoy!
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Have you removed the casting blocks yet?