1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young Miniatures News May 2013

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Tarracus, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Tarracus A Fixture

2. Einion Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the bust overall (not a fan of stuff projecting past the cutoff line) but that face is really good. Helmet maybe a bit small?

Einion
    faust18 and captnenglish like this.
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Agree with Einion - something just doesn't look quite right there. Very nice paint job though.

- Steve
    captnenglish likes this.
  4. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Have to say I like everything about this piece.
    A great looking individual face, great expression and thankfully no cliche fag.
    Cheers
    Derek
  5. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I like the face, it has a bit more character than the ones we have been "whining" about lately. As far as the helmet goes, I always get the impression that the FJ helmets we see on figs are too small, then I see the real thing and realize they are usually about right. FJ helmets came in various sizes, so you can see some very tight ones and some that seem to have lots more space between the helmet and the wearers head. Overall not my favorite bust by Young but still nicely done, the cut line I agree with but a razor saw would take care of that. I'm glad to see an arm! Oh, sorry to include a pic with a "cliché fag":woot: Talk about a difference in meaning between cultures!:nailbiting:

[IMG]
    Notice the fit of the helmets of the center guy and the guy on the right in the pic above. One small, one big.

[IMG]
    Sturm Grenadier, Einion and DEL like this.
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    If you're a fan of Germans as good as it gets.
    Carl.:nailbiting:
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  7. Tarracus A Fixture

A face full of character, but I'll let this one pass by, I've painted painted a bust with that same arm recently...:meh:
  8. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Mad dog face :bored:
  9. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi!

Dear friends nothing is "perfect" in this life and if anyone thinks otherwise is mistaken.
    The bust from Young Miniatures are all unique, full character, style and with a wonderful engineering.
    Well done Mr.Young this one is beautiful and I love the adition of the half MG34, good value for money.

Pedro.
    T50 likes this.
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks like you modelled for this one Carl:playful: and someone stole your bun:singing:

Faces are all the same!!! then along comes a big change and nobody likes it ,how can this guy win ! mind you he could be holding a Roman eagle in that arm :singing:

another fantastic German .

Ron
    T50 and housecarl like this.
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    I think everybody likes the face so far. The only negatives are design / taste preferences that you always get with busts......half figures, one armed, equipment projecting past cut off and cut through gear.
    housecarl likes this.
  12. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    At least it's not a steering wheel :woot:
  13. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Hey, I get that it is his ball of putty, but is Mr. Young intent on sculpting a bust for every soldier who fought in WW2? For the WW2 fans, it must be great. I hope, for his sake, these busts are selling. I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple, but it seems it's either Germans and GIs, or Romans. Can't we induce this gentleman to do something somewhere in the middle? :happy:
    Anyway, the "what is a bust?" debate is eternal, and unresolvable, so either you'll buy it, or you won't. He does churn them out, I'll give him that, regardless of what we punters say.
  14. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Fantastic face on this bust, but must agree the helmet is slightly wrong, the kit's helmet curves slightly back inwards (see last pic of fig) compared to actuall photo where helmet front has a slight cant outwards. could be easy fix. Like this bust all the same.
    Cheers Les
  15. gregmarm Active Member

Greece
    A "must" buy for mext month!
  16. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    This bust is nicely sculpted with heaps of character - at least we're spared the "same face" debate on this release.
    Although not identical, he still reminds me of the German boxer Max Schmeling, who served as a Fallschirmjager and propaganda poster boy.

tumblr_li98sk9SSX1qg5z8jo1_500.jpg posed photo jump Max Schmeling German boxer paratrooper airborne fallschirmjager ju-52.jpg
    DEL likes this.
  17. Einion Well-Known Member

1 out of 8 is "nobody" Ron? :inpain:

Einion
  18. Einion Well-Known Member

In all fairness I think Young is stuck between a rock and a hard place to a degree, since most of his existing fans obviously like his set style which tends towards the idealised/handsome when it comes to the faces. They're likely to not be fans if he moves beyond this, but when they're done well it could draw in fans of a more gritty, more wartime-photo look; either way the face may have its critics.

Without seeing the resin I can't be sure but I think this may be one of his best-sculpted faces, in purely technical terms.

Einion
  19. Mark S Guest

I can't believe that we ever have to have this discussion about the skill of this wonderfully talented sculptor.
    I'd love to see the efforts of those who are disappointed....It sounds like there's a whole ugly guy face bust market out there. Apparently figure painters are desparately awaiting ugly people busts....there's a challenge!....I'm prepared to offer my services as a model...of course I'm only ugly on purely techincal terms
    Martin64, NickM and housecarl like this.
  20. Tarracus A Fixture