1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young Miniatures (Korea) - News

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Martin Antonenko, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    The new bust of "Young" is out - the bust itself is new, but the subject - frankly said - is so slutted that it hangs out of my throat...

Title: German Machine Gunner - Eastern Front WWII
    Scale: 1:10
    Resin
    Sculptor: Young B Song
    Boxart: Man Jin Kim
    Number: YM1882

[IMG]

[IMG]

How many German WW2 MG gunners they want to bring out yet ...?

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Sry - only my 2 Cents...

Cheers
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Have to agree Martin, overkill with all the MG's. Done to death really.
  3. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Boring but they obviously sell. I'm amazed at the repetition in 20th century offerings be it figures or the plethora of magazines and books on the world wars and the modern military. Obviously the photographic and film visuals provide a rich source material. There are a number of forces vets on this and other forums who have a nostalgic interest in the hobby but also a keen interest by the younger generation. As l said at the beginning it seems to be what sells and an area of huge interest.

Keith
    MCPWilk, Babelfish and Viking Bob like this.
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Hackneyed and uninspiring.

- Steve
  5. Mookie Well-Known Member

Yes they sell but yawn yawn,Same old,Same old and dont like the pose to be honest.Rather contrived in my opinion.
    Richard.
  6. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    What is the sense of announcing Young`s new release without his consent and then taking it down???
    I agree that we are today able to build every Tiger Tank that left the German factories back then and that we are getting close to have a portrait of every German soldier that manned a machine gun in WWII as a bust in our cabinets. The sculpting is still brilliant - what I miss in most of these busts shown above is the feeling of the impact of the weight of that weapon if you carry it in the poses adopted.
    Nevertheless: If you don`t like a new release don`t buy and don`t open threads of that kind unasked IMHO!
    MrBMB, HansDig and akaryu like this.
  7. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    What is the sense of announcing Young`s new release without his consent and then taking it down???

This was announced by The Hussar some days ago on Facebook. Besides, look at the pic. It has a Young Miniatures watermark across it, which means it came from his site. Once its posted there, its public knowledge.

Now, guys, you had best tread softly. Nuts Planet and Life Miniatures have already went whole hog into the sci-fi/fantasy realm with their new stuff, we don't need Young deciding that, only there, are there new ideas to be gleaned. So on that note, "Brilliant release! Unique and filling a long ignored subject and gaping hole in modelers display case".

At this rate, like the Tiger tank in 1/35th, we will soon be able to display literally EVERY German soldier who ever hefted a MG34 or 42 on his broad Aryan shoulders. Well done Young Miniatures, well done....o_O
    Redcap, Babelfish and Viking Bob like this.
  8. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Nicely put, but not an answer to the question. If Young decides here on PF to announce his new release - why not give a critical comment and maybe add how bad we need another US Para etc. - but if someone does not like a new release published elsewhere why open a thread about it on PF and criticize it? In many other cases on this forum even the critical comments posted on threads opened by the manufacturers were not welcome and got sometimes pulled by mods.
    I wonder how some people would feel if I put a picture of their work published here on another forum and tell the members there what I don`t like about it.:confused:
  9. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Why not? As Jason says it's already public domain. Besides, not all manufacturers update us on their latest release, or don't update us straight away, or don't update us about every release.

Really? In "many" cases?? :confused: Not when I was a mod they didn't. And I don't recall it happening more recently either.

Critical comments are welcomed by most of us I think (mods included). If anything, it's more often the other way round, with guys leaving fawning "attaboy" comments about distinctly average releases - what a pal of mine who's also a member here (but who I won't name) calls "Planet Figure becomes Planet Platitude".

Well if I were talented enough in the sculpting department to be able to release figures commercially, I might be glad of the free publicity ;) . I'd then just let others make up their own minds about whether they like it or not.

In any case, no one has said that it's a poor sculpt. On the contrary, it's very good. It's just an uninspiring and very "safe" release.

- Steve
    Perseas, valiant, Viking Bob and 3 others like this.
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Thats it, Dude!

[IMG]

Cheers
    Perseas, Tony Dawe and Viking Bob like this.
  11. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Am I alone in finding this rather funny or is it the heatwave ruffling people's feathers? Every time a WW2 German pops up on this forum tempers flare and normal civilities risk being abandoned. I'm not at all into machine gun toting Germans , but one thing is certain: apart from the little problem with simulating the MG weight (about 12kg), it looks as if Mister Young knows his Germans and is rather good at depicting them. Eons ago tempers flared to unseen heights, with some knowledgeable members leaving the forum, when some of us where branded as "rivet counters" for having the temerity of criticizing some fanciful samurai figures for their glaring historical errors. Surely we don't have to repeat that!
    Partake of some iced beverage of your choice and relax!

Pierre
    Martin64 likes this.
  12. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    No intend to generate another heatwave over here - and to avoid it I don`t dig up previous news-threads when any kind of critical comment was most unwelcome - but in my eyes there is a difference between making other members aware of a new release and this thread and it`s opening post. That said I rest my case.
    Cheers, Martin
    akaryu likes this.
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Pierre!

First of all:

I try to cooperate constructively in this forum! And that includes informing the other members, if anywhere, a novelty is shown that may not be known here.

But I think I can also have an opinion on a novelty and express it.

So if a character called "historical" has gross mistakes (like the SS officer with the violin last time) or the character is a repeat of a theme already done by the same editor!

For me it's a pity that you read something that is not there!

The new bust is - as has already been said - neither badly modeled nor painted.

But it's the umpteenth version of an ever-recurring theme - and that makes it boring!

And it does not matter whether it's a German, a British or an American!

I'd say the same thing if Young would release the fourth US Para...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

...the sixth SS Tank Commander...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

...or - after three released ones - another US Tanker!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

A good thing that repeats itself over and over again is no longer good - it is boring!

Imagine you had to eat the same thing every day - only the plate would have a different color every time ...

Incidentally, I also say, if I find a novelty really good - and that happens much more often! See for instance my posts today about the "Robert the Bruce" or the Carlist fighter of the Spanish civil war...

But I'm NOT in this forum on the road to uncritically find everything "great"!

Cheers
    Redcap, Babelfish, valiant and 2 others like this.
  14. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    The difference between some of these comparison is that Young is a figure company selling their wares, so if they decide to release something and post it on their website, they have made it public AND are open to commentary, negative or positive. They are not posting their work as a means of just sharing with the pF community, they are posting it as a way of advertising and SELLING their work. If you are in the business of making and selling something, you have to be prepared for feedback about it, whether positive or negative. If they decide to listen to the commentary and perhaps, you know, do something different and unique, great. If not, and next month we get another MG-42 schlepper, then thats OK too. It's up to them, and if they feel these sell best, so be it. But please don't expect us to sit here and stay mum about a new release simply because some may feel it impolite or bad form to say something negative. To me, thats the cost of doing business, taking the kudo's when people like it, and the negative commentary if they don't.

Now, I would love to see a Japanese soldier or SNLF guy from the Pacific war (tarawa, Iwo Jima, etc..)
    If necessary, Young could have him with a Type 99 MG over his shoulder, whatever...:troll:
  15. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    My remark wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, let that be clear! It was the potential flare up of tempers I feared, as we all know where that usually ends. As a longtime slapper of paint, I too am bored to see that endless series of unimaginative output by some manufacturers wether it be tank commanders, paratroopers, machine gunners or grenadiers of the guard or other commercially "safe" releases.
    But have no fear, that said I am off to the Strait of Gibraltar to count killer whales which can be individually identified, contrary to some manufacturers' output.
    cheers,

Pierre
    JasonB likes this.
  16. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Now THAT is interesting. I would have never guessed you would see many (any) killer whales in that area, but reading "the Wiki" on it, see that there is a standing population near there. Very cool.(y)
  17. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    They (the killer whales, not the German MG toters) follow the tuna on its way back from the spawning grounds in the Mediterranean. They are also very eager to go for the catch of the Moroccan tuna fishers and can be easily identified by the form and pattern of their dorsal fin. We've got a large database with identified individuals. The Strait of Gibraltar is very rich in plankton, due to the colliding Atlantic and Mediterranean above a large underwater mountain ridge and is home to a large range of sea mammals, with pilot whales and three species of dolphins being permanent, with sperm whales and fin whales regular passing through. Sorry for drifting of topic guys!
    Pierre
    JasonB likes this.
  18. MrBMB A Fixture

I like this one better than the other five done and since I haven't bought one yet, this would be the one I would pick up. I saw this awhile ago on facebook and wondered why I hadn't seen it on here....

Im a fan of the machine gun and the outfit/uniform and also wish it was made into a full figure

I know I am the rare one in this thread but as it been said a hundred times I am sure they make them because they sell and that is what a company does to stay in business
  19. Kandor8 Active Member

United-States
    I just don't care for WWII German subjects. WWI? Yes.
    Red Five likes this.
  20. MrBMB A Fixture

I am open to all subjects it's more the detail, sculpt and quality of the company doing it. If you asked me would I buy a model of someone riding a camel years ago it would be a no. Then RP models comes along and does such good work I find a camel rider in my future stash.
    Kandor8 likes this.