1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Young Miniatures German SS Ardennes

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Carlos69, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    David - Thanks for the encouraging words ! (y) The link Gellso included(many thanks) sums it up really well,you gotta try it ! a great easy way to get a randomly chipped distressed item.

Simply spray the base coat let dry,then Two even coats of hairspray(normal hold) flash off with hairdryer then top coat in Tamiya acrylic again flash off then straight away scrub the area to be distressed with a cut down filbert brush and warm water,works every time !
    Dr Force likes this.
  2. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Edorta many thanks for the comments ! :) very helpfull ! many soldiers retained the insignia even though they were vittoed,also tryed to show some age to it as you suggest buddy to back this up a bit...

Ed thanks also ! My cooler pallette for cold climate figures is made from Windsor and Newton Artists oil paint.

Titanium white,Venition red,a touch of Yellow ochre this gives basic skin tone,highlight with Naples yellow and white to the base mix up to just Naples yellow/white and then pure white.Low lights are base mix with more v/red added and then Burnt umber added to this then just straight Burnt umber then Burnt umber and Ivoury black.

I normally add filters of venition red once dry, also to the cheeks ears and nose areas.

HTH

Carl
  3. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Rob thankyou for the helpfull comments,appreciate them (y)

Michael Tse,Thanks buddy for your kind words :) yes this is an earliar sculpt and I have many of Youngs busts,for me this face has a kind of gritty look to it and an awesome germanic profile ... but I know what you mean allthough the majority are nicer sculpts some are a bit to hansom or symetrical if you know what I mean...its nice to see a more rugged natural look now and then.

Thanks again appreciate it !

Pedro...No worrys :cool:

Hi Ken thanks for looking mate ! :)
  4. LVM Active Member

Belgium
    You 're totally right. They add interest to the figure. Perhaps you can make some additionnal weathering on them to suggest that they are old ?

But well this is a detail and I love the way you paint the helmet (y)

Laurent
  5. kingbingo Guest

Austria
  6. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Very nice work Carl, helmet looks great. I have used a similar approach using a different technique on my twin pairing from YM. will be posting pics soon.Les

Attached Files:

Series 7 likes this.
  7. Pacosan New Member

Spain
    YOUR WORK IS AWESOME. TRANSITIONS IN SOFT is what most caught my attention. I also like ..... WEAR HELMET CONGRATULATIONS ...!!!...

ESCUSE MI ENGLISH BUT GOOGLE TRANSLATIONS IS FANTASTIC....:D
  8. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Love it !! Apparentley I just missed you at war n peace show last week , some other pf members said so, they had some really great work on display in the model tent though.
    Sam B
  9. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Thanks again Laurent :) I will add some more weathering to the decals like you suggest,nice idea thanks (y)

Thanks Kingbingo ! ;)

Les,love that twin bust of yours o_O :p great idea,cannot wait to see it painted !

Paco,many thnks for the encouraging words ! :)

Sam,I was there on the thursday buddy I didnt recognise anybody though :eek: shame I missed you... was nice to see Norman Ottys work on display. Thanks for the comments (y)
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Great painting, both the face and helmet!

I look forward to your further progress.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Carl - great start mate,ilke this bust and i look forward to seeing your's completed,nice flesh tones and great work on the helmet.

Brian (y)
  12. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Hi Carl, your mention of needing more decals (1/10-1/9) Jason Millar of ARMS CORPS MODELS made some decals for the YM USMC Hue 1968, these were for the smoke cannisters, I bought some and they look really good, havn't done the bust yet.. try contact him about making helmet decals may be a viable option. Les
  13. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Adrian thanks for your comments ! :)

Brian thanks also for your helpfull comments ! I have always liked this bust.(y)

Les that's great thanks for the info... I could do with a load to be honest for all of that ever growing grey army ! :awesome:
  14. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Hi guys,

I have managed to get an update.. the face is finished now and work has started on the woolen toque around his face and neck. ad5.jpg

ad6.jpg

ad1.jpg
    gordy, Edorta and Meehan34 like this.
  15. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Carl, comming along nicely, looking forward to painting of the tunic. Les