1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Young Miniatures Fallschirmjager Ardennes 1944

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by avuo, Aug 12, 2011.

1. avuo New Member

Singapore
    This is the latest bust I'm working on. I've already completed this but I really don't know about the streaks on the camouflage. Is it too big/wide? What you guys think? :unsure:

Any comments or feedback good or bad are welcome. Thanks for looking. :)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      180.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      182.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      180.1 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      179.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      178.8 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      178.5 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      180.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      174.8 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      175.2 KB
      Views:
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work Andrew (y)

Thanks for sharing with us!
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice work.
    I think the camo streaks are indeed to wide.
    I'm not a WW II addict, but find this example. twjb.jpg

Good luck
  4. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Yes, the streaks are a bit too wide, though its rare to see them done to proper scale. In anything smaller than 1/16th they probably shouldn't be shown at all, but you frequently see them looking about the size of yours on much smaller figures. For me, the best way to do them in scale is a fine, long bristled brush and thing paint. I used a quick flicking motion to get a thin streak. Its takes a little practice to get the feel of it, but you can get some very fine streaks doing it that way. Its also useful to note how on the real thing the streaks aren't everywhere in a random pattern, but are sort of in diagonal rows, with blank areas that have no streaking.I see on yours you did leave those open areas without streaks. Overall, I think you did a pretty nice job, the streaks don't detract much at all.
    Cheers
    Jason
  5. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    It is amazing and competent all the way thru. If I may "pick a bone from tofu" (meaning being fussy), I think the flat side of the bag (referring to 2nd picture) is painted a touch too "clean". Some random variation could add to the feel of fabric.
  6. avuo New Member

Singapore
    Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I appreciate all the honest opinions and comments given.

I did use thinned paint but I think it's too thin and I tend to put more force to the brush just to get a solid streak and it came out too thick... Now thinking whether to strip the camouflage paint and do it all over again or not... :confused:
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Don't strip it. Use this as fodder to take into the next figure. I still like to look back at my older figures and see what I've learned. Well done by the way. Over all the figure presents well.

Jay H.
  8. Ferris A Fixture

No, don't strip it!!

First of all, your painting of this bust is very nice and attractive, even if the small stripes are a little wide. You captured the camo pattern and colours very well.

I agree with Jay, take it to the next one. It'll be nice to see your own learning curve over a couple of figures/busts.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I too feel you should not strip this bust. Learn from it and use it as motivation for improving your technique and research.;)
  10. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Excellent work Andy - nice finish, I like it very much. Bravo.:p
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Andrew,congratulations on the result,the splinter camoflauge is a tricky one and i've seen hundreds of splinter camoflauge subjects and the rain pattern has been done in all different widths depending on scale,i think you have done a good job on a difficult subject so try not to be too hard on yourself.

Well done and thanks for posting (y)

Brian
  12. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    This looks great, beauty!

Ski.