1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young Miniatures "Alexander" bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jun 26, 2009.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi everyone.

Here are a few progress pics of my latest project, Young Miniatures' recently released 1/10th scale bust of Colin Farrell portraying Alexander The Great in the movie "Alexander".

This is my fifth Young Miniatures bust, and I must say IMHO they are the Gold Standard when it comes to busts.:D:D:D There may be other manufacturers who are as good as Young, but I doubt there are any better.

The bust was primed with Tamiya White Fine primer spray and base coated with Vallejo acrylics. My next step is to apply a wash/ stain in oil paints to blend the skin tones together.

I hope you like my progress so far.

Attached Files:

2. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Alex Bust.

Very good start mate, I like the hair and skin tones already, this should come out very well, will watch your progress and look forward to completion.

Thanks for posting, RobH:eek:
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good start.
    Skintone's are great

Marc
  4. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Nice start, Tony! I like this bust, my only nitpick is the hair, particularly the heighth of the hair, seems a bit excessive. What do you think?

Jason
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Rob and Marc, I appreciate your kind comments.:D

Hi Jason, thanks for your comments too mate. :D The length of the hair doesn't seem excessively long or high to me, but I understand your point. It looks rather coiffed (is that a word??) like he's just come out of the hairdressers. I've attached a pic that I'm using as reference for painting, and a side on pic, so you can judge for yourself.

Attached Files:

6. Kirtles Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice work so far Tony.

The undercoat shows what a lovely sculpt it is as well. I'm sure you'll enjoy painting it.

Steve

www.skminiatures.co.uk
  7. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice start Tony on such a beautiful piece of sculpting. There will be a full review of this kit here on PF within the next few days.
    Cheers
    Tommi
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    You're off to a good start Tony.
  9. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hey Tony,
    Nice start and great to see you back at it. I loved the pic's posted on here when this kit was released, they looked spot on to the actor. Best of luck with yours.
    Ben
  10. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hello,Tony.
    Great start!
    The skin tone is wonderful.
    I'm looking forward to progress of your work very much.

Mitsutaka
  11. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    a very nice start and i shall follow with interest

:)

Mark
  12. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    That's a great start Tony........will be on the lookout for the progress!!

Ray ;)
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Wiil be following along with this one Tony, you off to a good start mate.

Steve
  14. RFL Active Member

United-States
    Good start Tony ! I look forward to how you deal with all hair. If I had have the skill, I`d be tempted to take the Dremel to it. ;)
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your kind comments Steve, Tommi, Ben, Guy, Mitsutaka, Mark, Ray, Steve and Richard. I'll post a few more pics once I've finished the face.

Richard, I wont be taking the dremel to this bust. I don't have the skill to make it look better than it is, so I'm not going to try and change it.
  16. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Your of to a fine start Tony, will watch this one with interest.

Cheers David
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks David,

I did some more work on him last night and will post new WIP pics in a day or two.
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    As promised, here are a a few more progress pics.:D

Attached Files:

19. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony

Looking very nice so far, I like the skin tones, are you using acrylics, can you please share your flesh colour pallet with us,

Thanks
    Tommi
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Sure Tommi.

Base coat, shading and highlights done in Vallejo acrylics.

Base coat- 50/50 Dark Flesh/ Sunny Skintone

Highlights - 30:30:30 Base Coat/ Sunny Skintone/ Ivory

Shading - 30:30:30 Base coat/ Red Leather/ Orange Brown

I then sprayed Dullcoat on (to protect the acrylics underneath), waited for it to dry thoroughly and then applied a series of very thin washes of dilute oil paints (Vermillion + Burnt Sienna) mixed in White Spirits. The washes help to build up the shadow tones while also smoothing out the overall skintone and reducing the transitions between highlights and shadows. Hope this helps mate.