1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young Miniatures 90mm Roman Officer 1st A.D. wip

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by krom1415, Aug 21, 2008.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Your face is fine, but it could use a few more highlights, particularly on the forehead, the ridge of the nose, the brow ridge and the top of the ears. The red colour on the cheeks is nice, but I suggest you feather/ blend it into the base colour to prevent a sharp line between the red and flesh colours. Don't forget to do the same technique on the arms and legs.

I've used both Andrea and Vallejo acrylics, and I've found Vallejo to be the better of the two.
  2. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the tips Tony, I can see what you mean, I'm thinking of getting loads of head sets, and just working on getting the faces right. Its not easy thats for sure :D

I've just bought loads of blooming Andrea paint, some are good but I dont like the quick dry effect of them, I'm using some slow dry to try and combat it, but its a fight.
    Do vallejo have good skin tones out of the pot?
  3. Einion Well-Known Member

No. Again MedRom would be the place to ask about this but given what we know of Romans on campaign I believe it's very likely their kit was kept well all the time (barring exceptional circumstances) which would involve polishing, and possibly oiling, their armour on a regular basis.

Previous thread on bronze:
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19227
    (from CMON) http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=25932

If you're not already using a stay-wet palette (commercial or homemade) then I would recommend one for all acrylic and vinyl painters. Fast drying time is a given with paints of both kinds but there's no reason to fight it on the palette constantly.

Using a bigger brush might help too - try painting with the largest one that will conceivably do the job.

That kind of argument simply doesn't hold water - not one of the membership was there on D-Day either, does that mean that those whose period is WWII can't inform us of uniform colours, kit options, weapons used and so forth? Didn't think so.

Einion
  4. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Einion,Yes I tried medrom, and after an hour trying to understand how it worked, I put my question and got one reply,

Quote;
    Ouch!
    I think a spot of defenestration may be on the cards when Dr. Mike picks up on this one.
    Definitely metal, specifically bronze, though it may be silvered.
    Chris

As you can see it didn't help much :rolleyes:
    However those two links definately help, cheers :D