1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young Miniatures "101st Airboprne" Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by dannyk01, Jul 8, 2009.

1. dannyk01 New Member

Australia
    Hey folks,

here is my current project (pushing another one to the side for this one :D) that I have been working on for about 1-2 weeks so far. After some constructive criticism last night at a local model club, I had been told that the colour of the uniform is a bit too "British Uniform" (well it was Tony that had mentioned it). After a bit more reference research I found he was right. I will probably be working on it over the next week and a half since it is school holidays over here is West Oz.

As for the head, it is currently sitting in simple green stripping because I think that I had painted it badly to the point of no return.

Anyway, here are some pics. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Attached Files:

2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Daniel,

It's looking really good mate. The darker colour for the neck scarf looks much better and the uniform colour looks much more realistic.

I hope you'll be able to show us photos of the head soon.

Keep up the good work mate.
  3. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Daniel,
    I like the shading that you have done on this so far, looks great. Are you using oils?
    Ben
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work so far.
    Keep up the good work

Marc
  5. dannyk01 New Member

Australia
    Actually i'm using a Vallejo and citadels acrylics (mainly Vallejo). I'm not so sure on why the paint has so far turned out glossy but it has. It never really has before for anything else, anybody got an explanation:confused:

Thanks aswell Tony and Marc, I will post some pic's of the reprimed head tomorrow:D

Cheers,
    Daniel
  6. RFL Active Member

United-States
    FWIW

If your using the Citadels Inks as washes they will turn the whole area very glossy, I tossed mine out and just use paints as washes. Applying Citadel paints in multiple heavy layers will sometimes result in a sheen, but rarely in a gloss when used over a matt primer with just water, no extenders or other additives.

It could be a bad batch..I`ve had a pot of Citadel Black come out high gloss.

Never had Vellejo`s go gloss.
  7. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Daniel, your version looks very promising. I have very recently painted this bust using Vallejos. It's in my v-bench if you care to have a look. Maybe I can be of help if you need

Stephen
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Daniel,

Vallejo paints, particularly reds, blues and greens can be a little shiny, but don't worry too much about it at the moment. You can always spray Dullcoat over the bust once you've finished painting and this will eliminate the shine and make everything flat.
  9. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    101st Airborne.

Very good start, I think I would be happy with the Jkt/smock colour although I do see Tony's point about the British Khaki shades - don't worry I started on my MIG Gen ChoSun bust and had to put it into stripper because my under coat and painting effort started out very pearshaped ! Keep up the good work and we will see as it goes along.

Best regards and thanks for posting. RobH.;)
  10. dannyk01 New Member

Australia
    Hey all,

Richard, I am not a very big fan of inks and the only areas of this figure which have been painted in citadel acrylics is the scarf on his neck which actually looks the most matte out of the whole figure. Maybe just vallejo just wants to be glossy for this figure lol

Stephen, You version of the figure is unfortunantly a little bit to "sandy" colour for what I am looking at but it was painted very well well never the less. I forgot I looked at it actually :)

Tony, I remember now that you told me I could dull coat it after im done so that should fix the gloss :D

Also thanks Rob, I hopefully don't want to strip the mini down but if I really need to I will so we will see how it goes.

Anyway, I finally stripped, let dry, re-primed and resprayed the head. The head colour is Vallejo Basic skintone mixed together with vallejo game colour scarlett red. The helmet I think is nato black but it is way to dark so I looking in the paint shelf to find what i need :)

Cheers,
    Daniel

Attached Files: