1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Acrylics Young MG42 Gunner Bust semi WIP

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by gothicgeek, Oct 25, 2010.

1. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    your eye painting has really brought out the facial expression well Mark, that and Carl`s great undercoating :p

Steve(y)
  2. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    That's exactly what I was thinking. The painting on this figure would not be possible without the impressive undercoat you applied.:p
    housecarl likes this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I love you, I do, I really do.
    Carl.
    Mike Stevens likes this.
  4. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks again everyone :)

I have added some facial hair and done a tiny bit of tweaking, the helmet cover is about done, just the metal work to sort out and that bit of filler on the front :)

[IMG]
    gordy likes this.
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I'd re-check your references Mr Goth. Helmet cover mate, helmet cover.;)
    Carl.
  6. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    After a few months away, I'm tinkering with this again :)

Carl Barton ( HouseCarl ) kindly gave me a set of legs for this fellow that he had envisioned using to make a full figure....

This is very much in progress and I'm still unsure about it... opinions and crits would be most welcome :)

I've tried the pose out in front of a mirror and the contra posto?? works that way round and the balance though strained will work, but does it look okay? To my eye the belt buckle may be too far forward in relation to the hips? but the belt is riding on the tunic so can move about with the clothing ... Kindathing!

anyway here's a pic :)

[IMG]
  7. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    He looks a little like he is on his way to try out for the Village People. His arms and hands are in a great position to slide a little electric guitar in there. That just may be because the unpainted legs look like shiny leather pants right now.
  8. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ROFL!

:) I probably should have put the mg in place but it kept falling off!

9. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Nice idea Mark, to my eyes the proportions of the legs look under scale compared to the upper torso, especially middle pic. maybe just my eyes?? will watch with interest. Les
  10. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    With the black primer they look like leather, I thought Frau Suzi Quatro in drag. Looking good Mark.
    Carl.
  11. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mark , the legs look a little on the skinny side but when the Italian parka is finished they may look fuller as the parka falls down to around the knees , loving it so far and will watch with interest mate.
  12. Ferris A Fixture

Hey Mark,
    Nice idea to give him some legs!
    I must say I agree with the earlier comment that the upper part looks to be in a slightly different scale than the bottom part. Now these germans came in all shapes and proportions, so this doesn't have to be the end of it. I would suggest to add some bulk to the trousers. They do look on the skinny side, especially in the crotch area'. Calvin Tan has some advice on how to do this in his 'painting wss figures' book.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Let's avoid skinny crotches by all means. :D Can you put a couple of socks down the front of his trousers??;)

Excellent idea to convert the bust into a full figure. I'm following your progress with interest Mark.
  14. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    hello
    looks good.the chassis looks like the lower half of the smoking COREE GRENADIER i think.you have to resculpt the coat which should be not too difficult i think and the result will look very handsome
    surely an great idea
    cheers
  15. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great work so far Mark, this is going to be a impressive figure when finished.

Cheers David
  16. zenon35 New Member

Spain
    Mark, congratulations, you are doing a really nice work.
    Keep posting the progress.