1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Young Dracula

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hello all,
    While I'm trying to figure out just how to do the Rising Sun flag on my kamikaze, I started work on another one.
    It's another bust of Dracula from the Francis Ford Coppola movie. This one is of him from the beginning of the movie before he becomes a vampire (if I remember correctly).
    It's a beautifully sculpted piece from United Empire Miniatures that I picked up at MFCA last May.
    I've had a couple of false starts on it but I think this one is going to stick :lol: .
    I'm trying a little different approach to the flesh to give him a more pale complexion. I'd really appreciate hearing what you think of it. Please don't hold back.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Another view...

Attached Files:

3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Craig!

I think it is excellent!! Very well balanced skin tones. I really think you have done a super job with it.
  4. kidney stone kid New Member

I think I'll just put mine away(which I also bought at MFCA) and take up stamp collecting....

No, but seriously, it looks great! While I am not a meteorologist, I think you have a good handle on the compexion. Transylvania may be like Cleveland or Pittsburgh in winter, lots of pasty face folks milling about....
  5. Hardy Guest

Looks great :)
  6. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Craig,
    Nice start on the skin tones, looking really good.

Frank (y) (y)
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Have to agree.......Looks great Craig
  8. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Craig -

agree with the others... looks great so far!

So, what did you change in your basic flesh mix to give him the paler appearance?

Keith
  9. johnnyboy New Member

craig that is awsome man please do more i want to see this guy finished great job.thanks for sharing johnnyboy
  10. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    Craig
    As usual, great start on flesh tones. You do such a great job on them.
    Rob
  11. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for the nice compliments.
    I did a couple of things to get the paler skintone.
    First, I didn't airbrush my usual undercoat of Liquitex Deep Portrait Pink.
    Then instead of mixing my Burnt Sienna directly into my flesh mix, I applied it directly to the face and wiped most of it off. The I started adding the Flesh/Titanium White/Yellow Ochre mix to this and blended them on directly on the face. While still wet I highlighted with Naples Yellow and Titanium White. Then I shadowed with Burnt Sienna instead of m usual Brown Madder Aliziran, keeping the shadows very subtle. After it dried I did the secondary shadows and highlights with the same colors.
    To keep it looking pale, I kept the paint to a real minimum. The worst thing about this method for me is that the resulting paint job is very thin and is easy to damage during the secondary shading and highlighting. To help protect it after that was done, I sprayed it with 2 coats of Floquil clear figure flat. I'm hoping this helps.
    Thanks again to you all for the feedback.
    Craig
  12. Brad S Member

Craig,

What a sweet looking bust. I love what you have done with the flesh tones so far. Can't wait to see this one finished. Keep up the great work!

Brad Spelts