1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Young Aztec with scratch built weapon

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well, I don't usually post-up WIP stuff, but I thought I might share this one. Very early stages so far, just primered and base coat started on some feathers. I stood back and looked at this one thought it could use a little something. So I scratch built the obsidian axe weapon. I'm both fascinated and scared to death of this thing, so I thouhgt he would look more the part with it. It's made from Apoxie sculpt for the main body, and the obsidian blades are made from carved down sheet styrene. I used the thickest sheet I had, and used my exacto to carve the edges of each. I think it makes a pretty convincing hand carved edge! All my reference comes from the Osprey publication on Aztecs. Some of the axes shown have more "blades" on them, some less, so I kinda split it down the middle. (The helmet and axe are just held in place with poster tack for the pics so far.) I need to primer and do a little clean-up on it yet, but I wanted to show it off before I get to the paints. What do you think? Does it look OK on this guy? To axe or not to axe, that is the question! Let me know.

I have also re-sculpted his upper lip. I'll be the first to tell you I'm a HUGE Young Miniatures fan, but I just didn't like the way the mouth looked on this guy. So I've closed his mouth down a bit. I think it looks a tad better. I will primer the axe and move on to finishing his under-coating. Then on to slapping some oils on this critter! Thanks for looking!

Jay H.

Attached Files:

• A1.jpg
      A1.jpg
      File size:
      131.5 KB
      Views:
    • A2.jpg
      A2.jpg
      File size:
      142.5 KB
      Views:
    • A3.jpg
      A3.jpg
      File size:
      117.6 KB
      Views:
    • A4.jpg
      A4.jpg
      File size:
      165.9 KB
      Views:
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Jay, personally I would leave the axe off. It doesn't look right balanced like that. Other options would be to cut off the handle where the figures torso ends, or mount the whole thing on the wooden base.

Roger.
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    This would be a tough call because the axe is so cool especially the blades, I love that detail. I think it looks oddish because of the lack of a hand holding the handle, it is just sorta floating. It would be a shame not to use it maybe ending it with the end of the bust like Roger said.
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very cool! (y)
  5. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Amazing masterpiece!

mitsutaka
  6. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jay , have to agree with Rodger and Mike, keep the axe but cut it off at the base of the torso, looking forward to seeing this painted and will follow.

Cheers Ken
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I love the axe Jay and I myself would use it as you have it. It looks awesome.
  8. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Jay,
    Personally, I have to agree with some of the comments above - the way the axe is in the pics looks kind of odd and distracting, like it's just floating there (especially with no hand on it). The axe is very cool though, and you've obviously put some work into it. I dont know how you can incorporate it, short of sculpting the entire arm - which I know I wouldn't have the nads to try! Putting it on the base as Roger suggested is not a bad idea.

Jason
  9. Ferris A Fixture

If you allow me Jay, let me make two suggestions for the axe: sculpt a hand around the handle (if you can sculpt lips, why not this hand!? :) or have him wear the axe on his back, like a slung rifle? Not sure if the latter is accurate (those 'blades' do look very sharp so I for one would not sling it on my back, but then again these guys were much cooler than I am).
    Would be a pity to ditch the axe as it looks totally convincing!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, the feedback is most assuredly appreciated! However, I'm not convinced that I won't go with the axe just as it is yet. I'm still working on him, and I have the under coating just about done. I'll put him together with a little poster tack when his undercoating is done and look it over again. It seems the idea of the axe "floating" doesn't bother me quite as much as some. Heck, when we go there, doesn't a bust essentially "float" on its own as a rule anyway? I'm not arguing with any of the posts, just kind of mentally rationalizing I guess. I'll see if I can take a pic of the bust in its undercoat and see if that makes any difference. Thanks again all!

Jay H.
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Jay, if your happy go for it. Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be up to your usual high standard. :)

What ya listen' to? :D

Roger.
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Weapon or not I'm sure it will be a stunner.
    Carl.
  13. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Option: Work the axe into the base as part of the description / title
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That's what I meant, sorry for not being clear. :)
  15. Glen Active Member

United-States
    I like the axe; it adds more context to the bust, but the lack of integration is a bit off-putting. I think a hand is just what's needed. I don't have the Osprey book, but if you can make a case for a wrist band/braclet that coordinates with the headrest it will help the integration even more.

Cheers,

Glen
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Jay, for some reason this has just popped into my head, have you done any more to this? Just curious. :)

Roger
  17. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Yeah, I'm curious as well...
  18. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    OK, actually, I just dried off the brushes for tonight on this one. I'm working on the fleshtones as we speak. The helmet and the feathers are basically done. I posted pics in another thread, but here they are again so at least they are in the right place! LOL!

Now, for the $64 K question.........did I go with the axe or not? Well, I decided not to go with the axe at all! I kept it, but I'm not using it here. It's mostly because I was excited about my progress and I didn't want to sully that with my crappy scratch built axe thingy! Thanks for asking gents!

Here are a couple pics.

Jay H.

A link to the other thread I posted these in, kinda explains my methods for painting whites and why I posted over there: http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36452

Attached Files:

19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Jay, it's looking good. I somehow missed the other thread and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest :)

Roger.
  20. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Hello Jay,
    very nice idea to scratch this weapon and excellent sculpt, I will suggest to put it not in front of him but at the back, then you will not have to cut it and it will not look like beeing in the air.
    The mask looks great, waiting for your next pics,
    regards.