1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Years in the hobby

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Roc, Dec 18, 2005.

?

How many years have you been in the hobby?

1 to 5 0 vote(s) 0.0%
5 to 10 0 vote(s) 0.0%
10 to 15 0 vote(s) 0.0%
15 to 20 0 vote(s) 0.0%
20 and over 0 vote(s) 0.0%
  1. Roc Active Member

United-States
    I just thaught it would be nice to share withg each other.

Roc. :)
  2. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Started at 8 and haven't left since :lol: !!
    Kenneth.
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have been modeling for most of 14 years, but I have only been in the figure world since about 2000, got more serious about it in 2003 and have never looked back since!
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I've been modelling since i was 8.
    Figure painting just my 3 year.

Marc
  5. Kamil Feliks Sztarbala New Member

Poland
    i'm modeller for ca 20 years. [i'm 27 yrs old] :>
    ~kamil
  6. georges64 Member

France
    I've been modelling since i was 8(i'm 41 old).Planes, ships,Airfix's 00/00 figures...
    Best Regards
    georges
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Started with Tamiya figures at around 12, started sculpteing at 14. Still at it 27 years later.~Gary
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    I cast my vote for 1-5 based solely on figure painting. I'm not quite as "crusty" at this figure thing as some are. I have been working on figures for just at 3 years now. If we are talking modeling in general, I would have to reach back to oh say, about '72 or so!

Damn, I'm old!

Jay H.
    OKC
  9. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    26 years of modelling , but just 2 in figures. And realised , how much time i waisted in other stufff!!!! i had to always be in the "dark side "
  10. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    8 years old must be a sort of watershed in a boy's life - I am now 44 years as a modeller (you do the addition)- you'd think I'd have reached the giddy hoeights of AVERAGE after all that time!!!!!
  11. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I answered 10-15 years. Of course I built models including some airfix figures as a child. I dabbled in figures and dios for a bit in my early twenties, but never really started figures in earnest until around 94-95.
  12. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Played with modelling AFV’s for about 20 years and played with radio controlled models before that, but moved onto the figure side about 6 years ago, thankfully more fullfilling than I could ever imagine.... :)

Dave
  13. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Started back in the 2000, so I have 5 years painting figures, time goes fast...I´m not too old in this hobby like Guy Herrick :lol:
  14. mahross New Member

Been in the hobby since 1993 so that makes it 12 years and i'm 23 :eek: . Been figure painting as my main stay for bout 6 years when i first went to Euro.

Ross :)
  15. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Roc..

I always played with plasticine when I was a kid...then the appeal of the airfix 54mm collectors series got me, and some attraction to the Tamiya 1/35th figures...but then it happened...I saw my first Historex and Poste-Militaire figures when I was 19, I was shell-shocked :eek: ...that was about 27 years ago...been into figures of all kinds ever since..and I don't know what I'd be doing without this great hobby....I love it..!!

Roy.
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Guess that makes me "Older than Dirt"..........lol :lol:

I too started when I was 8 and now after 50 years of modelling with 33 years in figures.
  17. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I first started assembling & painting those big ol' old Aurora(?) figure models back around 1963 or 64 when I was in grade school. I never was really of big fan of model cars or military vehicles but I sure enjoyed all those Auroras. They had a huge selection--wolfman, the mummy, Frankenstein, Dracula, King Kong, the red, black, blue, silver knights, all 4 Beatles (sold separately). My favorites were the sports models. Does anyone out there remember the Johnny Unitas figure with John Mackey blocking for him or the Demsey vs. Firpo model?
    Then about '68 or so, a cousin married a fellow who built shoebox size dioramas using those tiny 1/72 plastic soldiers. That held my interest til long about the summer of '70 or so when I discovered girls. Wasn't sure what to do with 'em (wife says I still don't) but I liked them better than plastic soldiers. About 5 years ago, I wanted to start painting again so I bought a box of 1/72 cavalry soldiers. That fall, I attended the Chicago toy soldier show & was amazed when I saw some very well painted Andrea & Pegaso figures. I had no idea that figures like that were available & I was hooked. I bought some figures, decided on acrylics (whole family says I'm clueless about those) & haven't looked back since.
  18. stev1eran Member

Started on WW2 aircraft when I was a lad then discovered girls :lol:
    tried my hand at figures about 8 years ago but gave up due to work taking priority.
    I have recently taken up this great hobby/art again because I have much more free time and I am enjoying it immensely and thats what counts.

Steve
  19. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Modeled Aircraft and Armor/Dios for about 10 years in the 70's and very early eighties. Stopped for college, wife, children, drudgery/job, pets, house 'til about 3 years ago when I discovered a the Squadron website looking for Gundam stuff for my pre-teen boy. Yikes what a rush.

So, that is about 13 years worth. Wish I coulda got some of those off years back. The eye's ain't what they used to be...

Keith
  20. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    I started at around 8yrs old........like most of us with Airfix :lol:

Assembled aircraft, ships, cars and tanks with the instruction and painting sheet DISCARDED and paint borrowed from Pa's garage (I'm speaking also for my two brothers, both younger than me as we all MIXED the lot together) also "we" used to affix ALL DECALS on the aircraft or tank so nothing would be wasted :lol: Airfix and Tamiya's figures also featured, most of them battered and twisted DEAD, and painted in a PINK FLESH with BLAK EYES (was there any other way?)

Then in 1986, when I was 23yrs old and my two brothers 18 and 16 respectively, we joined SSM (Society for Scale Modellers) and the rest is history as we were all tutored into the finer art of scale modelling.......thanks to all those who hammered and forged the desire to improve and do it as best as we could.........

It was aircraft modelling till 94/95 till I saw Shep's book How to paint Figures and Bill Horan's Masterclass.......for me it was a breakthrough of painting with a brush (my childhood desire) and modelling at the same time........

So here I am 42yrs old still palying like I was an 8yr old (wishful thinking)

Joking apart, this hobby, my club and mates, and all of you guys whom I have met in person and over the internet, are amongst the FINER things that happened to me during my stay on this PLANET EARTH....thank God Almighty and God Bless You All.......

Ray :)