1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

YANOMAMI

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by BRAN, Oct 18, 2022.

1. BRAN Active Member

France
    Located between Brazil and Venezuela, the Yanomami territory is covered with a thick forest, crossed by innumerable waterways, the main river of which is the Orinoco.
    The name Yanomami was created by anthropologists who studied the group in Venezuela. In the Western Yanomami language tëpë, it means "human beings" which is opposed to yaropë (game), yai thëpë (non-human = shamanic spirits, ghosts) and napëpë (stranger, enemy)
    The Yanomami Indians are one of the most numerous and most preserved indigenous peoples in South America.

They constitute a linguistic and cultural whole divided into 4 subgroups speaking mutually intelligible languages. The communities maintain a vast social network throughout their territory, which was definitively demarcated on 25/05/1992 after a battle lasting several decades.
    The population is between 27,000 and 29,000 individuals depending on the source. They are unaware of writing but have a very rich vocabulary of around 4000 words. They use sign language during forest hunts to make themselves understood in silence.

The game is taken in the forest only by bow hunters, with respect, and they thank in recognition "the spirit of the forest". The result of the hunt is always exchanged between neighbors and families, the one who killed does not keep the result of his hunt. This is supplemented by the collection of edible plants (fruits, tubers, mushrooms) but also caterpillars and insects and wild honey.
    The women use thin rods which they cross their nose, lower lip and corners of the lips and which swing with each movement. They often attach wild lilies to the ends.

In 1970, the mining potential of the Yanomami territory was discovered and a gradual invasion of gold miners took place and continues today.
    The meeting between the Yanomami and the "garimpeiros" (miners) was a real shock. Some gold diggers have links with drug trafficking networks, they arrive with helicopters, excavators, generators, receiving satellites, alcohol and narcotics. They have also widely spread malaria, tuberculosis, and more recently Covid-19 to these people whose immunity is weak.
    According to Yanomami chiefs, some 20,000 illegal gold diggers have invaded their territory, killing men, sexually abusing women and teenage girls, and contaminating rivers with the mercury that separates gold from sediment.

The bust I just finished is from Scientific Models and is 7cm tall. It depicts a young Yanomami who has tamed a green-cheeked amazon, which easily becomes good pets because of its gentleness.

I wanted by this painting, to highlight this peaceful people, threatened by the lure of gold, a bit like the Amerindians were during the conquest of the west, hoping that the end would be different. ....

Yanomami_31.jpg
    Yanomami_20.jpg
    Yanomami_21.jpg
    Yanomami_22.jpg
    Yanomami_24.jpg
    Yanomami_25.jpg
    Yanomami_26.jpg
    Yanomami_27.jpg
    Yanomami_28.jpg
    Yanomami_29.jpg
    Yanomami_30.jpg
    avdden, gazer, harrytheheid and 7 others like this.
  2. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Beautiful paintwork

Mobo
    Oda likes this.
  3. Oda A Fixture

Excellent work and presentation.I am affraid that these gentle people really have no future.The lust for gold is over-powerful and so far it has managed to ruin more than one civilizations......

Oda.
    housecarl likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Bran

Great to see your art , what a beautiful piece not only in subject choice to highlight the peril these tribes are facing

You've succeeded in showing the innocence of people affected by greed of so called progress

Lovely flesh tone and the parrot looks really good

IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY WHY NOT ENTER a piece into the class of your choice in FOTM here: :)(y)

Standard

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...dard-class-ends-midnight-bst-15-11-22.504733/

Intermediate

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...iate-class-ends-midnight-bst-15-11-22.504734/

Advanced

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...nced-class-ends-midnight-bst-15-11-22.504735/

In the forum you can also VOTE in previous comp so please take the time to do so

There is a Vignette & Diorama competition running here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...night-31-12-22-voting-from-1-31-01-23.414984/

Thanks for sharing

Always good to see your artwork , look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  5. BRAN Active Member

France
    Thank so much Mobo !!
  6. BRAN Active Member

France

That's right and it's very sad, money comes before men.... This painting is just a cry, when I saw this bust at ScientificModels and inquired about the Yanomami, I was shocked by what i learned.... i decided to buy it and paint it in order to share my awareness.... as you say it is a fight probably lost d move on and that's the worst....
    Anyway, thank you very much for your message Oda !
    Oda likes this.
  7. BRAN Active Member

France
    Thank you for enjoying Kevin and thank you for all the work you do for this site....
    Oda likes this.