1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Yankees. The good guys wore blue.t

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by David Spencer, Jul 20, 2023.

1. Briggsy A Fixture

Get out on the moors and soak up some tranquility, and probably a lot of rain water.

Cheers Simon
    David Spencer likes this.
  2. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ha! Damned good idea.
    Briggsy likes this.
  3. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I love it……nothing wrong with groundwork, looks like well trampled grass, I love the blues too, it’s a lovely little piece.
  4. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you
    Dr Force likes this.
  5. NigelR A Fixture

I think it looks pretty good but I agree, the trees could be better. The bigger one isn't too bad but the smaller one really does look like a twig from the garden stuck in the base. Two things you could consider in future. First, trees are always bigger towards the base and would have some longer grass round them. Second, it's worth using a bit of putty to thicken and resculpt twigs so that they look less like twigs. It's not hard but it makes a big difference IMO.

I always used to find the best looking twigs and use them straight from the garden, in my last vignette I enhanced the twigs rather than just stick them in the base. IMO it made a big difference, take a look here: https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/verdun-1916.601391/page-5

Personally I would remove the smaller twig because the larger one looks OK.
    Nap and David Spencer like this.
  6. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes, it's a learning curve and I didn't plan the base properly at all. Too late to take the small twig out now (they're both pieces of heather), but I'll remember the lesson next time.
    At least it wasn't a disaster.....
    Briggsy likes this.
  7. NigelR A Fixture

Definitely not! It looks good overall.
    David Spencer and Briggsy like this.
  8. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    20240216_080513.jpg
    Can't decide.
    One will leave room for another 54mm fig this summer; the other will take longer, but is delightfully intricate.
    Both are really nice models.
    May have to sleep on this ...
    MalcC likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi David

Good pieces to choose from there , both very different ...I’d go for the FeR

Do start a new V bench when you’ve decided

Enjoy

Nap
    MalcC and David Spencer like this.
  10. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hmm...
    Will certainly post a V-Bench-Grumble-Blog when the next one starts.
    MalcC and Briggsy like this.
  11. Briggsy A Fixture

Look forward to seeing whichever one you do, especially s the weather is picking up.

Cheers Simon
  12. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The decision is made....
    Component parts trimmed.
    Briggsy likes this.
  13. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!
    I brought three chestnuts home from Gettysburg, from beneath a tree growing on Cemetery Hill.
    Had almost given up hope that any would grow.
    And this one is doing!!
    Yeah!!!! 20240225_144809.jpg
    MalcC and sd0324 like this.
  14. Briggsy A Fixture

Oh wow that's got to be cool having a tree from the battlefield in the garden, that's really great.

Cheers Simon
  15. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    You’ve done a good job on these David. I’m never satisfied with my results but over the past year, as I am starting to paint more often, things are improving, so keep going.

I too had problems with Union blue and highlights. Then I read Mike Blank’s Colour Harmony and started using his mixes, Prussian blue mixed with black for the base colour, darken with black, and he has a couple of mixes for highlights - Grey or a light pink mixed with the base colour. I found his book very useful for the colour mixes he offers. Well worth acquiring a copy.

I also took Mike Butler’s (Mike the Kiwi) and Mike Blank’s advice to enjoy the experience of experimenting. Mike Butler’s book Modelling and Painting World War I Allied Figures is also a gem, and well worth the money even if one doesn’t paint First World War figures, especially the techniques he uses to achieve unbelievable realism.

Cheers
    Chris.

PS. You’d never get those seeds into Australia. Very tough quarantine regulations with heavy fines for not declaring them.
  16. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Chris. Good advice.
    I'd like to be better at photography, if anything! But you're right about experimentation, and that's why the little figures went first: so I have a better idea by the time I tackle the Iron Brigader.
    Trees:
    To be honest, the UK is so infested with foreign plants that a broadleaf isn't going to make much difference.
    Australia is probably less interfered with, and certainly evolved its ecosystems in a more isolated situation.
    (Believe it, or not: I'm an ecology graduate........)