1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Wyatt Earp Bust - 1/12 Jaguar release

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by KenBoyle, Sep 13, 2017.

1. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Well I decided, once again, to go for a diversion from my normal 54mm/90mm figures and visit the world of Busts/Half figures. I dedicate this one to Nap since it has no legs. ;)

Sticking to my current 1800's Western theme, I pulled this oldie but goodie from my stash of figures. It is a Wyatt Earp Half Figure sculpted by Mike Good for Jaguar. I primed it several years ago and never did anything else. I guess, at Nap's urging, it's time to revisit it. :)

So far only the face has been painted. Like Tommi's recently posted "Deaths Head Hussar", the rest of the figure is Black and White and not much else. And we all love to paint black...:eek:

Thanks for looking,
    Ken
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Maciej, Borek, Mjølner and 9 others like this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Following with interest Ken, watched the wild West series on TV directed by Paul Newman. Very interesting with the piece on Wyatt Earp. You could always paint a pin stripe vest.
    All the best.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ken

Nice bust there .....thanks for the dedication ...lol

Nice flesh work there

A great choice as you say a Mike Good sculpt enough said I think ...

Once had this ...wish I still had !

Following with interest

Happy painting

Nap
    KenBoyle and Viking Bob like this.
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Slow getting started Ken but a nice start Mate.
    A fine piece from Mike with an open book of possibilities on how to bring Him to life.
    I am looking forward to following your progress knowing you will make a great job of it.
    Best wishes
    Keith
  5. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Bob! Your idea on the vest is very good. I'll give it a try and see if I can pull it off. Lots of "straight" lines right next to each other sounds like a real challenge. :unsure:

Ken
    Viking Bob likes this.
  6. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Nap! I'm enjoying the larger figure for a change, just like I enjoyed the smaller ones. After viewing your "Bust" threads and those of others, I got the bug. That's part of the reason I enjoy "Planet Figure". Seeing all the different works makes me want to paint. Even though, as in this case, it's taken me a couple of years to dive back in.

Ken
    Viking Bob and napoleonpeart like this.
  7. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Keith! It would be nice to finish Wyatt after all this time. Moving him from my workbench to the "completed" cabinet will be a treat.

Ken
    Wings5797 and Viking Bob like this.
  8. swralph A Fixture

Looking forward to this Ken:).
    KenBoyle and Viking Bob like this.
  9. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ken, one of my favorite busts by Mike Good. I too have contemplated painting this one, but backed off due to color combinations. Yet, they did dress like "grave diggers"
    in Tombstone...Curious to see what you come up with! Always enjoy seeing your work. (y) Hope you make it to Atlanta Show one year soon!

Best of Everything, Terry Martin-Member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society
    KenBoyle likes this.
  10. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Go for it Ken!!!!
    KenBoyle likes this.
  11. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Ralph! I'm interested in finishing him sooner than later. So maybe in the next day or so. Retirement is a benefit after all.:)

Ken

Thanks Terry! Always good to hear from you. I'm approaching this one as a "Grave Digger" with style...

Ken
    swralph and napoleonpeart like this.
  12. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Well, thank you Bob! Great idea on the vest. I went online and searched for different period vests and found one I liked. Because there is so much black on the figure, I decided to break it up a bit with a subdued blue gray color vest. This fits him well, I think, because it's stylish without being too flashy. As if blue jeans and tee shirt Boyle knows what he's talking about. :rolleyes:

I still need to paint the Duster Jacket, hands and pistol. Hopefully tomorrow.(y)

Thanks for looking,
    Ken

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Borek, Scotty, phil_h and 5 others like this.
  13. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That's looking good Ken, are you sure it's a duster and not a frock coat he is wearing.
    Keep up the good work.
    Regards
    KenBoyle likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Ken

That looks great ...the waistcoat stripes painting really nicely done ....this is going to ve a very nice piece ....looking forward to the coat now ......

And how you paint the pistol

Nap

"Blue Jeans and T shirt" ...fashion icon eh!..lol
    Viking Bob and KenBoyle like this.
  15. swralph A Fixture

Excellent pin-striping ken:).
    Viking Bob and KenBoyle like this.
  16. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks Bob!
    Good question, since we can't see the whole coat. Typically, by definition, Frock coats only come down to the knees, while Dusters go all the way to the ankles. However, there is a "Long Frock Coat" that goes to the ankles. I've seen drawings and movie stills of Earp in both types of coats. Your guess is as good as mine. :)
    Viking Bob likes this.
  17. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks Nap! Finished the coat last night. Working on the hands and pistol later today.

Got to go post on my fashion blog for a while, see you later. ;)

Ken

Thanks for the kind words Ralph!

Ken
    swralph and Viking Bob like this.
  18. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ken, I would say, you nailed it with the pinstripe vest. (y) Great job! Good choice of colors for your Marshall Wyatt Earp. Thanks for sharing!

All the Best, Terry Martin -Member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society
    KenBoyle likes this.
  19. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States

Thanks for the kind words Terry,

Haven't done a bust in a long, long time. Now, I'm hooked and I'm sure I'll be working on several others in the months to come.

Thanks,
    Ken
  20. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Well, Wyatt is finished and ready for the display cabinet! One less on the workbench. :)

This was a fun project and the first Bust I've done in the last 6 years. I'll certainly be doing more in the future. (y) (You made me a believer Nap!)

Thanks for looking,
    Ken

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Borek, arj, swralph and 9 others like this.