1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WWII Marines Vignette: "Ghosts of Bloody Nose Ridge"

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by bwildfong, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Brian,
    Stunning work, a great piece of painting.
    Bob
  2. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    A beautifully thought out, composed and painted diorama, Brian. I love it, nice work!
  3. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Great scene and many small details.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    What he said. brian is known for his ultra detailed WWII superbly painted pilots. This is equal in quality at the individual figure level but en masse it is so much more. Love the sweat stains.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. eas6644 Active Member

United-States
    Absolutely brilliant!! Well done!! Wil it be at any upcoming shows to view in the flesh?
  6. osceola Active Member

Italy
    Diorama very nice
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    An absolutely beautiful and realistic depiction of the 'raggedy assed Marines'!

You truly captured the moment!

Joe
  8. Ray Welshman Active Member

Very nice dio, the weathering looks very good and visually it all comes together

Great piece

Cheers

Ray
  9. Francisdrake Member

Italy
  10. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Thanks again folks - I'm blushing! :X3:

If the gods are on my side, I might bring it to MFCA2015 or maybe Chicago, if I can swing it (or if the Canadian dollar doesn't drop too much lower...:( )

BTW, here's another piece of inspiration for this vignette. It's a painting entitled "That Two-Thousand Yard Stare" by American artist Tom Lea:
    [IMG]

Lea was working as a reporter and was with the Marines when they invaded Peleliu. His paintings from this period are among the most evocative ever painted of the horrors of the Pacific War (or of any war for that matter). The painting even shows the jagged cliffs of the Umurbrogal Highlands in the background, but the shell-shocked Marine's expression is what really grabbed me. Luckily, one of the figures in the Evolution Miniatures set had a good rendition of the "two-thousand yard stare" from Lea's painting; I lopped it off the flamethrower figure and swapped it with the BAR gunner who is at the front of the line of Marines in the vignette.

Thanks again all!

Brian
    ChaosCossack, NickM and tiberius57 like this.
  11. kinggeorges Active Member

France
    absolutly stunning work !
  12. Jim Active Member

Incredibly detailed and flawlessly presented. Dynamic!
  13. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    I had the privilege to see this piece in person! Can be an awesome didactical material for a history class on the Pacific War!
    An outstanding composition which captures the human condition and horrors of war.
    Brian, my friend, as we discussed few times, it is one of the best composition on the subject. One of your best pieces. I love all your work but this one is the jewel in the crown.
    Cheers and looking forward to see it again.
    Zeno :)
  14. captfue Active Member

United-States
    Great piece...Enjoyed all the details
  15. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Terrific, show worthy piece. Wish I had it in my collection!
  16. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My thoughts exactly!
    Andrew
  17. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    This is not a modelling period that interests me ........ but ...... wow WOW.
    I like everything about this, composition, atmosphere, modelling and painting.
    I keep coming back and finding something new everytime ........ Outstanding
    Bravo (y)
  18. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Thanks Mike - high praise coming from a member of the Corps; much appreciated.

Thanks too to all of the other recent posters since my last check - thanks for the kind comments.

Cheers,
    Brian
    Mike S. likes this.
  19. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    Beautifully done , congratulations
    Al
  20. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Wow, what a scene, puts you right in there, awesome!

Cheers, Ski.