1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WWII GI

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy,

Curse that "Band Of Brothers"! :lol: I have gotten the bug myself and like I don't have enough to do! Looking really good so far. I really like the jacket. Glad to see you painting again.

Joe
  2. johnbrewer New Member

A classic paint job by a classic painter.
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you guys for the words of encouragement. I really appreciate it.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Here is a pic of the base the GI will be mounted to. It is a Verlinden pre-cast wall section on a Ken Thomas Oak base. Not sure what type of accessories to add to the scene. Any suggestions? I thought about placing a rag doll at the base of the wall that the GI would be looking at indicating War doesn't discriminate againt age.
    [IMG]
  5. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Acessories the man says :)

You can go with the obligatory street or city signs (Ste. Mere Eglise?), discarded German stuff... probably need more rubble, boxes, jerry cans, flags...

Keith
  6. Pete_H New Member

I'll beat Kreston to the punch ...

Mud. There's always room for mud.
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy, how about broken glass as a result of a shattered window, and maybe a mini picture frame with a scaled down picture of one of the inhabitents. ;)
    Just an idea, what do you think?

Roc. :)
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roc....I like the broken glass idea with the picture frame.
  9. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking Good Mr Herrick

The idea from Roc is spot on

Robin
  10. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Ditto Roc's suggestion;it'll certainly add a sense of drama and tension to the scene (y) Cheers !
    Kenneth ;)
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Robin and Kenneth. It was a good idea.

I have attached the back pack and shoulder pack and the right arm. Sitting on the work base is the other head I painted when I did the one I am using. I chose the one I am using beacuse he was looking down as I wanted him to.
    [IMG]

The back still gets some weathering as well at the bayonet on the left hip and the canteen on the right hip. The rifles is not quite finished as yet and will be added.
    [IMG]

All comments are welcome!
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I have a question for those who specialize in WWII. The rifle stock, shovel handle and the bayonett handle are wood, should they have a slight sheen to them by adding some semi-gloss over the wood parts?

thanks
  13. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Guy,I would imagine the items you'd mentioned would only have a sheen on them if they were newly issued from the quartermaster stores.After hard use in the field and constant combat,the sheen would most likely have disappeared. Just my 2 cents worth. Cheers.
    Kenneth ;)
  14. Pete_H New Member

Guy,
    The e-tool handle really isn't a "bare natural wood" color. It was typically painted OD or OD green. However, scuffing up the paint around the end of the handle (forming a concentric ring of sorts around it) to expose the bare wood gives it a nice touch of realism.
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Comming down the home stretch on the figure and I have the gaiters and the left arm patch to do yet. I will mount him on the base tomorrow and start with finishing the groundwork and accessories.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

All comments are welcomed.......this is not a period I usually paint.
    Thanks
  16. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    He is looking great Guy, I really like the base and the groundwork, very fitting. Looking forward to see it in Tulsa!
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Anders.....Tulsa is not too far away is it? Little over a month now
  18. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy, he looks fantastic,very well done. (y)
    Keep up the good work.

Roc. :)
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roc......Appreciate your kind comments.......Only started on him about 10 years ago.. :lol: Oh well........all good things take time!
  20. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hey Guy, (y) (y) (y) on the figure ! WELL DONE,my friend ! Cheers.
    Kenneth.