1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WWII GI

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    After watching HBO's 10 episodes of "Band of Brothers" I was inspired to finish up the Series 77, 90mm WWII GI I had previously started. I have worked on the webbing and snaps and outlined the shoulder straps. Next is each arm along with the canteens and back back. The rifle is pegged and being painted now.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

All comments and or critique are welcome as I have quite a way to go yet. Also any thoughts on the groundwork?
  2. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guy

That's a really nice figure and looks very well painted! Bears a passing resemblence to Mr Hanks!

Thinking over groundwork ideas............

Rob
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Rob, One of my goals this year is to get a decent camera to take close-ups......just can't get close without blurring it. Here is a couple of more attempts of close-ups of the head.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  4. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Looks really good, Guy.

I think you have done real well on the highlights and shadows on the khaki and OD.
    The ammo belt pouches, too.

I look forward to seeing the completed fig!

Keith
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the comment Keith. I am happy with the Khaki and jacket but not to thrilled with the flesh. Too orange but the lighting is not the best either and the pic looks totally different than the actual figure does. Not sure on his trousers as this is not a period I usually paint in.?
  6. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    The figure looks REALLY GOOD so far,Guy (y) (y) ;you've managed to get the shading of the OD and Khaki down to a T.Any tips on how you did that ? Looking forward to the completed figure.Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol:
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Kenneth,
    The jacket and gaiters were base coated khaki and then shaded with red brown and highlighted and blended with white. After drying the jacket was drybrushed with khaki lightened with white, then drybrushed again adding more white to the drybrush mix. The ammo pouches and belts were painted khaki base and them given a black wash. After drying they were drybrushed with khaki. The black wash brought out the detail while the khaki drybrush brought back the original khaki color. Hope that answered your question.
  8. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    It sure did (y) Thanks !
    Kenneth :)
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy , as usual, nice work,Can't wait too see the finished PRODUCT.
    Keep up the good work.

Roc. :)
  10. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roc for your kind words. I haven't done a WWII figure in years. May have to do another as I have enjoyed this one.
  11. Pete_H New Member

Guy,
    Welcome to the "drab side" of painting :) The jacket, webbing, trousers, and leggings look really good. The outlining on the webbing helps trememdously in distinguishing between them and the M42 jacket (almost the same color). If I may, I would suggest replacing the head. Looks like you used a Verlinden 120mm head, which looks a bit too large for the body. Then again, perhaps it's the picture ...
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Pete. Actually the heads were the same size, not counting the helmet of course, and I studied both for quite awhile before deciding on the Verlinden. The figure with the stock head measured over 100mm in height, which quite often happened with Pat's Figures. Once the arms are attached, the head doesn't seen as large. I have painted both, in case I have to revert back to the stock head.
  13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guy!

Great to see you paint something WWII! He is looking really good my friend, especially the jacket is great! Keep it up!
  14. Pete_H New Member

Guy,
    I didn't think of the arms - very good point (y) Judging by the painted hair, he won't be wearing a helmet. Or will he?
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    His helmet will be on the ground Pete, along with an extra rifle and other equipment
  16. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy,
    I've never painted a WWII figure , you inspired me, I guess I'll be painting one soon.

Roc. :)
  17. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looks great Guy! I really like to dark flesh tones you use, it gives a weather beaten/ exposure to the elements look.
  18. Pete_H New Member

Roc,
    If I may be so bold, I would like to suggest the 54mm WWII figures by Michael Roberts, Ltd. I've painted them all (one of them more than once) and they're a blast to paint. You can't go wrong with them ;)
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the kind comments Roc and Jason, I have enjoyed progressing on this figure and hope to have it finished soon.

Pete:.....I think anything that Michael Roberts comes out with is of high quality. I haven't done 54mm WWII figures in over 20 years so I may have to look at their's at the next show. Thanks
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, That's a "classic" figure. After all these years Series 77 stuff still paints up nicely.~Gary