1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Wwii gi scratch built fimo/milliput not completed

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by LAXMAN05, May 15, 2009.

1. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    WWII PARA 101st IN PROGRESS

I actually started this by using Milliput as a base, then I figures I would just use Fimo to create the rest of the figure. Well that didn't work, I am just too new at sculpting but I really enjoy milliput because it slowly dries and is easier to work with when the epoxy is semi hard. I kept the head utilizing fimo, and will bake it later when the rest of the figure is complete. I am still working on the helmet. I am hoping to put an M3 Grease gun in his hands. This is what I have so far feel free to input and if there is anything that you would like to see go on this figure. Shall I keep it regular Infantry or Airborne?? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Derek,
    good sculpting so far.

When it comes to the figure and his depiction, at the end of the day, you're the one who has to look at it and be happy with it, so really, it's your choice. :)

Now to really complicate matters, he looks like he has a G.I. tankers jacket, and the M3 grease gun was sometimes issued to armour crews for self defense, as it was easier to stow in a turret then a M1 Garand or similar rifle.

To the sculpting.
    So far, good creasing of the fabric, you are really getting the hang of posture, looking forward to seeing the figure as a complete sculpt

Cheers
  3. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    Well here is a couple of new pics on the progress and thanks for the input. I figure I would go with 101st or 82nd on this one. Maybe this will be the last post until I complete it since I figured out what I am going to do.

Attached Files:

4. tomapaul Active Member

Romania
    Hm...I really like it!We'll get better in time...:rolleyes:
    You should smooth the miliput more with a moist sintetic brush(when wet).Other than that...I have nothing to say so far.
  5. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Progressing nicely,
    bulging pockets add a nice touch.

smoothing milliput with water and brush I would second, adds a touch of craftsmanship to the process.

Thanks for sharing

cheers
  6. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    jamie, and Paul, Thank you guys for your posts. Are you saying that even though the milliput is dry you can smooth it out. If that is true that is great! Do you guys suggest any specific kind of milliput. I am using the yellow grey I believe. It is coming along great, just need some time. Just fine tuning the face. Thanks again.
  7. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hmmm,
    in my experience, once milliput is dry, it's dry, and smoothing can only be done with sandpaper....

It's probably easier to smooth milliput when it is still 'damp'.

Best milliput? fresh stuff, as it ages, I have found the occasional small hard lump from stored milliput.

Cheers
  8. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Derek looks like you are going in the right direction with the sculpting and its good to see you are tackling the hardest part which is the head.
    The standard milliput you are using is fine for this sort of work and is best smoothed with a water moistened sythetic brush before it hardens. You can still smoothen the putty when hardened using sanding sticks,sandpaper,files and fine grade wire wool which is great for contours and hard to reach areas.
    Make sure you constantly keep cleaning your brush in clean water when using to smooth as it wont last long if you dont, use cheap brushes for this as you will get through quite a few over time.

One thing you need to look at is Drapery and the way you have created the folds and wrinckles which at the moment seem random. You need to understand that all creases and folds have a purpose and a reason for existing in the fabric where Stress, Compression or Gravity has played a part. The right elbow should not show a fold as you have sculpted as this part of fabric being over a bent limb would be under stress and pulled tight to the body, the crease would start away from the elbow joint and point toward the area of stress and fade out as it moves away from the area of stress.
    This is just some pointers to make you aware of drapery and to make you see it differently and hopefully make you study how cloathing works on the body, just look at people around you to get a good idea.

Steve
  9. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    WWII PARA 101st IN PROGRESS

Well thanks guys for the input here is just a bit more. I literally had to redo everything except the head. Steve thanks for the time to tell me about the clothing and drapery. I do have to pick up some of the steel wool to smooth out some parts.

Attached Files:

10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The work you have done on the creases under the right arm look very good, you can now see the area of stress is the caused by the arm raising and pulling the material toward the armpit, this is exactly what i was trying to explain Derek, nice improvement.

Steve
  11. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Derek - this seems to be coming along well, the pocket and jacket detailing is very nicely done. |I look forward to seeing more.
    cheers Mat
  12. tomapaul Active Member

Romania
    Looks good!I like the baggy pockets!

Steve here told me, and I'll pass it to you: