1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WWI Vignette

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by arthur, Jan 19, 2006.

1. arthur Member

Canada
    Gents,
    This is my very first sculpting project in 1:35 scale so please be gentle :) .
    I know it doesn't look like much , but I started it last week and it is progressing quite fast.
    Represents a scene from the Eastern front (Galicia).

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Your suggestions are always appreciated,
    Cheers,
    A.
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Good start, interesting subject matter, looking forward to your next step.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  3. elvis A Fixture

:) I think is a good idea. ciao from Luca (y)
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Arthur, Your piece is off to a good start. I would be careful with the arms on the soldier swinging the rifle. You may have to do a little work to insure the figure is not to wide under the arms. I'm looking forward to your progress. Does the vignette represent a specific unit or event?~Gary
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Nice one, Arthur! You're off to a great start! I agree with Gary - I'd like to know more about the historical source of the vignette, if there is one. Are you working from an illustration?

All the best,
    Dan
  6. arthur Member

Canada
    Roc,
    Thanks. I really enjoy sculpting to get away from painting for a bit ;)
    A.
  7. arthur Member

Canada
    Luca,
    Grazie Amico :)
    Ciao,
    A.
  8. arthur Member

Canada
    Gary,
    Yes I have noticed the bulges under the arms :angry: . Will have to shave it off a bit
    The scene is from Battle of Konary. Both soldiers are Pilsudski's Legionnaires in Austrian service.
    There is abit more here about the unit...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Legions_in_World_War_I
    Cheers,
    A.
  9. arthur Member

Canada
    Dan,
    I am glad you like it :)
    In a post to Gary I mentioned that is based on a historical event (it is however my allegorical representation ;)).
    As refernces I use photos and period paintings.
    Cheers,
    A. :)
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Cool A WW1 Polish subject. I can't wait to see the uniforms filled out.~Gary
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great concept - the Polish Legions in WWI - unique! I look forward to your next installment, Arthur.

All the best,
    Dan
  12. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Arthur..it's great to see you sculpting.
    A great choice of subject too....and as it's your first sculpt, you're really going to learn loads and I hope you get tons of satisfaction from it too. Looking forward to seeing you progress..

Keep on sculpting. (y)

All the best..Roy.
  13. arthur Member

Canada
    Roy,
    Thanks. It is quite a different experience being able to create a scene from the scratch rather than to have to hunt for appropriate figures. :)
    I am enjoying it immensly so far.
    Cheers,
    A.
  14. arthur Member

Canada
    Gary,Dan
    Thanks.
    Here are some new pics.
    I started the upper torso clothing, still have to add pockets, belts etc.
    Gents, any idea how I should make the jacket buttons in 1:35 scale :( ?

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers,
    A.
  15. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Hello Arthur!

congratulations! The poses and anatomy look fantastic for a first sculpt! Also a very interesting subject!

The composition is nice and thight, with different levels, telling the story effectively and in a dramatic way. As it is so dramatic, maybe more dramatic facial expressions could even enhance it further by give the soldiers more individual character and showing different emotions: maybe a shouting head for the one swinging the rifle, and a face full of pain or fear for the one on the ground? Just an idea...

Best wishes,

Marijn
  16. Marijn Van Gils New Member

about the buttons:

if you have a punch-and-die with 0,3 diameter punch, this is the easiest way, as this is small enough for most buttons.

For smaller ones, grainers (jewellers' tool consisting of metal punches with a hollow head) can be used, or you can slice streched sprue.
    You can also sculpt them with putty.

HTH,

Marijn
  17. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    I also admire you for your sculpting effort . look so nice so far, and performing an action scene is not the easiest thing !!!! Bravo , i ll be looking over it
  18. arthur Member

Canada
    Marijn,
    Thany very much for your comments.
    I indeed had a dillemma with the choice of heads :angry: Went trough my pile of Hornet heads, however out of few that I picked out these were some of the "smaller range" and looked too Western-European. When added to the bodies they just looked odd.
    VP and Warriors heads while with proper expressions were not as detailed and a touch too big.
    Thus I chose these ones, sculpted by Taesung Harmms :) . I am going to remodel them a touch to get the more expressive look and hope I can accentuate that with a proper paintjob.
    Cheers,
    A.
  19. arthur Member

Canada
    Marijn,
    Thanks,
    I will try punchNdie or the sprue technique ;)
    Cheers,
    A.
  20. arthur Member

Canada
    Costas,
    Thank you :) .
    Cheers,
    A.