1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WWI French Artillerymen

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by jknaus, Jun 11, 2022.

1. jknaus Active Member

Canada
    Hi everyone. Long time since I've been here and definately have to start hanging out again. I am curious if anyone knows of any 1/35 scale WWI French Artillerymen? I just picked up the Das Werks French Schneider 155mm C17S Howitzer and would like to maybe add a figure or crew. I havent seen any figs though, but maybe someone here has or knows of something coming out?
    James
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi James, the now-defunct French company JMD did this resin pair some years ago. I think the masters were picked up by another French outfit (whose name escapes me) when JMD stopped trading, but as far as I know they are now OOP again.

I have both in the stash. I wasn't planning on offloading them, but if you struggle to find anything else I'd be happy to let you have them for a sensible price because I've had them for at least 10 years and I can't see myself painting them any time soon (if ever). In which case just drop me a PM.

JMB - French Artillery 1.jpg JMB - French Artillery 2.jpg

- Steve
    jknaus and Tom W. like this.
  3. NigelR A Fixture

I personally wouldn't go for the JMD figures. They are 60mm figures and likely will look out of scale for a 1/35 artillery piece IMO (I have them in my stash).

How about the 1/35 French artillery crew designed for a 155mm Schneider by a certain company called Das Werk? They would be a good fit.....;)

See here: https://www.das-werk-models.com/products/figures-additional-parts/

If you struggle to get these, Blast Models do a range of 1/35 WWI French figures, some of which may be suitable, see: https://www.blast-models.eu/en/34-world-war-i
    David Spencer and Babelfish like this.
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I had in mind that they were 54s and so possibly get-awayable-with, but having read your post Nigel and dug said figures out of the depths of my stash to check, you are indeed correct and they would probably be too big. I had in the past seen them posed with some kind of mortar, which made me think they might have worked.

- Steve
    jknaus likes this.
  5. NigelR A Fixture

Yes, the two French guys came as a set with a French trench mortar (I have that set), so that is all in scale. The JMD figures are labelled as 54mm but are closer to 60, I painted up the Belgian grenadier figure and when I displayed him next to some Tommy's War stuff I realised how "big" the JMD figures are. Really nice figures though.
    David Spencer, jknaus and Babelfish like this.
  6. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That will be it then. I bought the figures individually and not with the mortar (I wasn't aware there was also a set) and as you say they are quite "generous" in size. They are also now winking at me to throw some paint at them (you've gone and done it now!)

- Steve
    Nap likes this.
  7. Billy Dickinson PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Coincidentally I was looking for the same thing to go Das Werk Schneider Howitzer. There seemed to be no viable alternatives to Das Werk’s own resin 1/35 figures to go with this kit. For the price they’re not bad, its just the courier cost from Germany to Uk which are rather expensive, for such a small package. I got mine from Andys Hobby HQ EU, which I think is Modelbau Konig in Germany. Only thing I can say against them is that they are all without tunics.
    Billy

IMG_2640.JPG IMG_2641.JPG
    Babelfish and jknaus like this.
  8. NigelR A Fixture

I did notice that the cost of the DW figures was more than the howitzer, but I guess that's because there's four figures so the individual figure cost isn't too bad. The Blast Models figures are the only possible alternative I know of, maybe two or three of the figures could be used but they would require a bit of conversion/adaptation as they aren't specifically artillery figures.
    jknaus likes this.
  9. Billy Dickinson PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Cost is Euros 52.95 which for me worked out at about £45, which for 4 resin figures 1/35 is not too bad. Expensive bit for me was the courier cost €21 for what turned out to be a really small packet (6.5x12cm)placed in a much larger box that could have been sent via postal service and not a courier. But as you say there isn't much in the way of alternatives. I even considered using Tommy’s War British artillery figures….
    Billy
  10. Billy Dickinson PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Yes all in all the DW figures are ok and are not overly expensive.
    jknaus likes this.
  11. jknaus Active Member

Canada
    Thanks everyone. I didnt realize DW made figures for their gun. Its too hard and expensive to find stuff like that here although the hobby shop I buy from has started getting DW stuff in, hence the gun. I'll ask them if they can get the figs also. They just got in the dry dock for the sub and it was an ewye watering $220.00 Cdn. See what the figs would cost.
    JAmes
    Billy Dickinson likes this.