1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Ww2 Romanian Pilot 1944/45 - 54mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tiberius57, Sep 16, 2012.

1. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    That's really nice and very different Zeno. I thought Romania was allied to Germany during WWII but this chap looks to be a RAF auxilliary c. 1940. Can I have a short history lesson on how this works?

Thanks

Colin
  3. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin! Glad that you like it!
    Here is very brief presentation:
    Before WW2 started, RRAF adopted the RAF uniform concept and colours. In 1941, Romania joint the Axis forces on the Eastern Front. RRAF and Luftwaffe conducted joint operations but RRAF retained the original uniform and received some German flying equipment as the Hoffman boots and the sheepskin jacket.
    In August 1944, after a coup d’etat, King Michael I, arrested Marshal Antonescu and Romania joint the allies. The RRAF conducted missions against Luftwaffe on the Romanian Western Front till the end of the war.
    The theme display will cover both periods: 1941/44 and 1944/45.
    butchyboy73 and billyturnip like this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Interesting - thanks Zeno. He'd look cool standing beside a 109.

Colin
  5. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Zeno,

Nice to see this one painted. (y):)

Cheers!!

Mike
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Well done Zeno... Will the whole display be done in time for the London Show?

Cheers

Colin
  7. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    You are welcome Colin!
    I agree, but I think it will look better standing beside a IAR 80 fighter. IAR 80 was the Romanian designed and produced fighter of WW2. Here is a picture:

[IMG]
    crf likes this.
  8. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin! (y)
    I don't think that I'll be able to finish the display for the London Show. I think it will be done for the Ajax Show in late October.
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  9. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Mike!!!
    Believe me, it was a pleasure to paint this figurine. The casting is great and you did a fantastic job with the sculpting. The face expression and the crisp details are awesome. Thanks Mike for the great sculpting! (y) Hope that my painting made justice to the figurine.
    I did two conversions and I will post pictures soon with the composition. It will be part of this theme display as a vignette and I would like to hear your opinion.
    Thanks and
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  10. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    As mentioned above, I did two conversions on the main figurine and ended up creating a small vignette of two pilots having a tactical conversation after one of them returned from a mission.
    The left pilot is using the second head, delivered with the figurine, and Hornet hands. The right pilot is using a Hornet head and the service cap recovered from the first original head.
    Your opinion is always much appreciated.
    Here are the photos:

[IMG][IMG]

[IMG][IMG]
  11. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Zeno,

That looks like it will work! It is amazing how you cannot tell it is the same figure with them angled 90 degrees from each other. Pretty cool! By the way, if you are patient, a nice model kit of the IAR-80 is in the works from Radu. That should really be something when it is finished! If you are not patient you can always do a Messerschmitt 109 or a Hawker Hurricane. Those kits should be readily available. Radu also does some excellent decals for Romanian 109s.

Cheers!!

Mike
  12. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Mike,
    Yes, I'm waiting the IAR-80 made by Radu but it will be not used in this display. I have a figurine put aside for that project. This display will be a little bit different than a man and his flying machine. When it's finished, hope you'll like it.

I finished painting the first figurine. Here are the photos.
    Hope you like it.
    Cheers,
    Zeno

[IMG][IMG]
    ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice one Zeno - you are really pounding them out.

Colin
  14. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin!
    I have a "train" to catch... The "Ajax 2012 Train"... so, I'm "running" as fast as I can... :LOL:
    Are you planning to be Saturday in London?
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Still not sure. Would certainly like to but I am not sure that I can devote the whole day. Guelph was more convenient to Stratford. :-(

Colin
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Ahh come on Colin... don't be an old stick in the mud! I don't want to be the only longhaired hippy freak at the show:woot:

Zeno, the paintjob is very good... the complexion and facial features are such that he even looks Romanian;)
    Well done!!

Colin
  17. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin! Much appreciated and yes, I think that you are wright... I can recognize some old dacian and roman features. :LOL:

Last week, before I started working on this small vignette, I finished the figurine of Capitan Aviator (Captain) Alexandru Serbanescu. The 54mm figurine produced by RB Productions (Radu Brinzan) was the only figurine depicting a WW2 Romanian pilot on the market (as far as I know), till recently, when Radu produced the second WW2 Romanian pilot figurine.

Capitan Aviator Alexandru Serbanescu, during the war on eastern front, was the commander of the 57th & 9th Fighter Groups during different stages of the war. Later, the 9th Fighter Group was renamed "Dessloch - Serbanescu". In August 1943, alongside other RRoAF aces, he was awarded the Michael the Brave Order, 3rd Class. Michael the Brave Order is the highest military honour bestowed by Romania. He was nominated for the 2nd class of the order, a distinction never issued to any RRoAF pilot. However, he was killed in action in August 18, 1944 in a battle against American fighter aircraft, before it was awarded. At time of his death, he was the highest scoring ace of the RRoAF.
    Combat record:
    47 confirmed aerial victories
    8 probable aerial victories
    590 combat sorties
    235 aerial battles

[IMG][IMG]
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Well Done
    Painter and Historian... Impressive
  19. tiberius57 A Fixture