1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WW1 Prussian Officer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Larsen E. Whipsnade, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Withdrawal symptoms.

That's what I'm having. My next project was intended to be a 1/16 scale WW1 French Soldier from Jon Smith Modellbau.
    Frenchman.png
    Jon shipped it promptly. Deutsche Post delivered it to the US Postal Service promptly.... whereupon it disappeared into the dark hole that has become the US Postal System. For those of you who are familiar with the recent performance of the USPS this will come as no surprise. I'm sure it will turn up one day but when? Who can say?

What else can I find while I'm waiting for my poilu's late arrival? My bench is beginning to get nervous so I decide to look around. (We all know how bitchy a nervous bench can be.)

Aha says I! The Puppeteer from Medieval Forge is just the ticket to calm down my bench. Cool and different. Not so fast, grasshopper! It's on pre-order. Sabot Miniatures, the US distributor, indicates it will be another week or two before the shipment arrives from Russia. But I really like the bust so I order it anyway. But now not only my bench but I'm getting the jitters with nothing to paint.
    Puppeteer.png

No French soldier. No Puppeteer. Time on my hands. Nothing to paint.

So... what to do? What to do?

A 1/12 scale WW1 Prussian Officer bust from Sabot Miniatures is the next figure to catch my eye. Really cool. Loads of character. And, eureka! It's in stock! Be still my beating heart.

Meet my next project (unless one of the other two arrives first).
    Prussian.png

Rick
    Andrew Belsey, Pedro, Nap and 4 others like this.
  2. Sven A Fixture

I know how you feel ;). I am very interested to see your version of the Prussian. Good luck with it.
    Both, the Pupeteer and the sabot bust, are on my wish list, too.
    Sven
  3. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I was looking at that puppeteer the other day, but not sure yet...

But do I understand this situation correctly? You order your next project after finishing your last, you dont have a grey army sitting on the shelf, mocking you? :rolleyes::eek:
    DaddyO likes this.
  4. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Thanks, Sven. The Prussian will be the first bust I've painted. I'm kinda eager to see how it comes out too....
    Rick
    Sven likes this.
  5. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Yeah, Henk, you understand the situation correctly. I don't have a grey army sitting on the shelf. Never thought I needed one... until now.
    Rick
  6. Sven A Fixture

Your first bust? I am looking froward to see it.
    I do have a grey army. Actually it is a mass army. But whenever a new figure turns up and exits me, I have to have it. Did I mention that I have the best wife of all?
    Sven
    DaddyO likes this.
  7. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Good choice. USPS has had problems as of late.
  8. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Got to order that Puppeteer now. Paint brushes at ten paces Rick!

Phil
  9. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    You are a very lucky man, Sven!
  10. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    You're on, Phil! Have at you!
    Rick
    Airkid likes this.
  11. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Tell me. We were still getting Christmas cards in February, Scott.
    Rick
    Scott Sheltz likes this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Rick

I have the Prussian , sculpted by James Rice of course ....be interested. In seeing how this goes

I love the texture painting on the artwork of it

Why not do a quick review as well

Happy benchtime

Nap
  13. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have a book coming from Austria. Made it to New Jersey in a matter of days. Not sure how they are getting it from New Jersey to Virginia. I think they are using carrier pigeon. The book set is heavy so I think the pigeon has to stop a lot
    captnenglish and Nap like this.
  14. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    The cloth texture has me fascinated too, Nap. I'm trying to research the technique online to reproduce it but so far no luck. If I can't find some advice I'll play around a little bit (after all I've got plenty of time before the bust arrives) and if that doesn't work let the more accomplished painters work their wonders and go ahead without texturing.
    Rick
  15. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Those darn pigeons and their pigeon union!
    Rick
  16. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Update: the poilu is scheduled to arrive today, the Prussian officer on Saturday. No word yet on the Puppeteer. So now it's time to decide which comes first - to go with the original plan and begin with the Frenchman... or switch gears and begin the Prussian... sort of an oreos or chips ahoy decision... can't go wrong with either one.
    Rick
  17. Nap Moderator

England

You will like the Prussian for sure .....but then also the Frenchman .....enjoy whichever

Happy benchtime

Nap,
  18. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    I like the Prussian officer. Who makes him. I do envy you not having a GGA. Mine is immense like Sven's I suspect. And I am lucky enough to have a great supportive wife too.
  19. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I have had that issue with packages coming from Germany
    Scott Sheltz likes this.
  20. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    The USPS released the hostage book yesterday. I was shocked when it arrived with no notice. Very nicely packaged to prevent any damage.
    Nap and captnenglish like this.