1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed WW1 Officer Bust

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Ray Fisher, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Ray Fisher Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi all,
    I am new to planet Figure, in fact I am reasonably new to figure painting and all things modelling (only started 18 Months ago) so I am keen for feedback, good or bad, especially tips.
    This is my 4th bust, its painted in acrylics and oils and took about 2 months to complete.
    low6.JPG

low6.JPG

Attached Files:

Eludia, Funky50, Grod and 3 others like this.
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Great effort Ray, lovely face and very brave to blow it up to this size. One or two areas need touching up, On the hairline right hand side? under the breast pockets? not sure what you have used there but it has a blue tinge but might be the camera? which I am sure you can see from the pics. The face and leather gloves are superb but overall I would be very pleased if it were mine.

Keith
  3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    If that is your 4th bust, I need to find a new hobby!
  4. Ray Fisher Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for your comments Keith, as this is my first ever post I was not sure what size it would come out at. I have just tipped it upside down and yes there are a few areas that I need to touch up. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ray
  5. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hell Yeah - what eyes !

Nice Bust - good paintjob ! congrats !

Hendryk
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice job Ray. I painted this one as well and it is a favourite in my collection. You have done really nice work on this and it really does not look like anywhere near beginner work. Perhaps you mean you have painted '000's of figs but this is only your 4th bust!?!? It's not an easy piece to do as there are various khakis that need to be rendered.....you have it just right.

Colin
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    That's a bloody good effort for just your fourth bust. Very effective painting.
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Very nice Ray, as a confirmed flattie even I couldn't resist doing this one.

Roger.

PS See you Friday in Darlo.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  9. MENTAL DENTAL A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ray
    Your biggest problem is the shiny finish to the cloth areas. I assume these are painted in oils. If so to get a matt finish undercoat in the same colour in Humbrol [ 3 thin coats] and pull off as much of the oil colour as you can with a large dry brush to leave just a very thin layer of oil base colour into which you can shade and highlight. If you leave too much oil on the figure it's like pushing butter about the surface. Finally, take a deep breath and put the figure in the oven on the lowest heat [~50C] and drive the oil off the model . You should have a nice flat finish.
    For leather areas undercoat in acrylic as the oil can't soak into it as it does with the Humbrol.

You will also find that some oil paints never dry flat............I never use a green oil paint from the tube as they never go flat even at 100C !! I mix my own from blues and yellows. You'll need to experiment which oils you can trust to go flat and which don't............it could take months or years..............I'm stlll learning!!o_O

Cheers:)

David
  10. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nicely done. The artistry is such that it is like looking at an oil painting.

Mike
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    NIce work all around.

Marc
  12. swralph A Fixture

great effort for a fourth bust(y)
  13. Ray Fisher Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for all your comments. David I see what you mean about the shining green, the jacket was painted in acrylic and only the highlights and shading was done in oils. I will look at improving on that, and thanks for the oven tip.:)

Cheers Ray
  14. Helm A Fixture

England
    Great work you have done a very nice job of this indeed, myself I use oils for faces and leather work only on a bust as you need that slight sheen for the finish and use acrylics for cloth and enamel for metal but thats a personal choice only. Top notch work Ray
    Steve
  15. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    You are defenately on the right track my friend. Keep up the good work.

Xenofon
  16. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Great work for only your 4th bust. I also would be proud of this work. Your leather and wood is excellent. I paint in oils and sometimes it does dry shiny. I use Revell Aqua colour clear matt varnish number 36/02. It comes in a square plastic container and in my opinion is excellent. If you are in the UK you can get it from Hobby craft shops.
    Eludia likes this.
  17. Ray Fisher Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the advice on the varnish Jazz. Last night I ordered some Testers Dullcoat (liquid form) so I hope it will solve the problem in the future, if not, I will visit Hobbycraft.

Ray
  18. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Keep up the good work.
  19. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent work Ray, a great natural talent. :)

Billy