1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WW1 Modelling

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by jacksparrow1979, Jul 22, 2008.

1. jacksparrow1979 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi,
    I'd just like to introduce myself and say hello to everyone on this great forum. I've been lurking and learning and been learning a lot just by looking at threads on here.
    After many years out of the modelling scene I've decided to get back into the swing of things. With so much new to learn and so many good models out there on the market I'm really spoilt for choice. I used to model WW2 aircraft in 1/72 scale so a change to figures and busts is a big change to say the least for me. It's like learning to walk all over again! Anyway I have decided to change to WW1 modelling because WW1 has always been a big interest of mine ever since I was a kid sparked by films such as The Blue Max, Aces High, Paths Of Glory, All Quiet On The Western Front (both the original and colour version) and mainly by the brilliant Charley's War in Eagle Weekly and Battle.
    I'm also working on a project with Dan Morton which I'm VERY excited about but all will be revealed by me or Dan soon. Lets just say it's a from a classic WW1 picture! :):cool:

Regards

Peter

P.S. Please check out my new blog - http://in-flanders-fields.blogspot.com/
  2. busso_boy New Member

Australia
    used to love reading Charleys War.......

WWI has to be the most interesting conflict since the 1800's
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Peter,

If you're working with Dan, you're in safe hands mate.

Great to see another WW1 buff on the Planet.

Your blog is very interesting, thanks for the link.

WW1 remains my favourite modelling period (particularly ANZAC's from the Western Front, Gallipoli and the Middle East) but I think you'll find plenty of other afficionados here from all over the world who will add to your enjoyment of figure modelling and who have a great deal of knowledge about uniforms, equiptment, vehicles and aircraft from WW1.

Cheers
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Peter - Welcome to PF! We are planning a two figure vignette based on, as he says, a classic WWI photo. Peter is doing ground work and providing a weapon and I'm sculpting the figs. The photo is probably one of the most frequently published and it involves British soldiers. With that I'll say no more and leave the rest to you, Pete.

All the best,
    Dan
  5. busso_boy New Member

Australia
    hhmmmm, the plot thickens.

i already have a certain picture in my mind, cant wait to find out if i'm right :confused:
  6. jacksparrow1979 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Ok. I'll reveal all..........:):):)

[IMG]

[IMG]
  7. jacksparrow1979 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony,
    If your into WW1 Anzac modelling then you should check out these figures and busts (you probably already know about them) - http://www.milminwh.com/ac_models_ww1.htm
  8. jacksparrow1979 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dan,
    Remember you asking me what the strap is around the barrel of the Vickers? According to Machine Guns Of WW1 by Robert Bruce this particular Vickers is fitted with the short-lived Sangster auxiliary tripod intended for rapid expedient use, its legs strapped up under the barrel jacket. The legs of the standard Mk VI tripod are securely sandbagged for extra stability.
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Aha! The short-lived Sangster auxiliary tripod! Of course, I should have guessed! :) LOL

Thanks for the explanation Pete! Doubtless there were thousands of other PF members wondering the same thing. OK, well...maybe hundreds...um...tens? Would you believe two more, not counting you and me?

Don't ya just love this hobby!? Seriously I really take great pleasure in finding obscure facts like that and incorporating them in the models. We'll have to modify the Vickers MG to add it, of course.

Is that new daughter allowing you any modelling time? I suspect not much. Both my sons were relatively easy on my wife and I. After only a few weeks both slept thru the night - well as much as a baby does. BUT not my daughter! Almost 30 years later, I have concluded however that she was worth every sleepless hour. :)

All the best,
    Dan
  10. busso_boy New Member

Australia
    yup, that would've been the one

good luck guys, cant wait to see the finished product
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Peter,

I'm very familiar with Andy Cairns' models and have immense respect for his talent as a painter and a sculptor. I have one of his figures on my workbench right now (Somme 1916). If you'd like to see a few more WW1 ANZAC subjects, have a look at my Vbench. Up until recently I've only been a painter, but now I'm trying my hand at sculpting a bust of Gen. Sir John Monash. I hope to have a few more pics of him once I can kick my relatives out of my house and reclaim my hobby room.

Cheers
  12. jacksparrow1979 New Member

United-Kingdom