1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique WW1 German Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by RossM, Jan 23, 2019.

1. RossM Active Member

Australia
    Before I stopped painting, I was using an airbrush to help lay in basic coats and general shadows. However, my break from painting and my move to Australia meant I had not been doing much painting. Added to that it appeared that my airbrush had gained a blockage! Nevertheless, a good soak in some acetone along with some patient cleaning has cleared said obstruction.

To see if I could remember how to airbrush I dug out an old Verlinden bust of a 'Prussian' infantry in 1914. I also used Jo Sonya's through the airbrush for the first time. The pictures below are the results. There is much work to be done but the basic depths have been laid in, and I am quite pleased with the result.

IMG_5387.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

Ross
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ross

Nice start there ,never tried used an airbrush but thinking about it

Is this bust the one with the smiling face ?

Following

Nap
  3. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks like you got a nice result with the undercoat, Jo Sonya's seem to be appearing on the threads recently because of their Matt finish so I must get a couple of tubes and try them.
    TERRY
  4. Nap Moderator

England

You should try them Terry , Broken Toad stock them

Nap
  5. RossM Active Member

Australia
    Kev,

Thanks, and yes, it is the smiling piece. Sculpted by Derek Holmes, I believe. I find using an airbrush gives a smoother basecoat for subsequent work.

s-l300.jpg

Ross
  6. RossM Active Member

Australia
    Thank Terry. Jo Sonya's are excellent and readily available here in Australia. I am still getting used to them as they are much more matt than say, for example, Vallejo paint.

Ross
  7. RossM Active Member

Australia
    Here are some more pictures of this piece. I have primarily been working on the face, which has been painted in oils. There is lots more to do on the face, and at the moment just the basic shapes have been laid in.

IMG_5583.JPG

IMG_5585.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5587.JPG
    IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5589.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

Ross