1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WW1 diorama and figures in progress

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Milorg, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Per

I am speechless, nothing more to say

Ulrich
  2. Milorg Member

Norway
    Thanks guys

I'l keep you updated on the progress.

Cheers
    Per Olav
  3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Per Olav,
    nothing like those "happy accidents"! Good work so far, can't wait to see this one come to life!

Jay H.
    OKC
  4. Milorg Member

Norway
    Hello

well, seem like I have to change the title on this topic. Something went terribly wrong when I was giving the ready painted Morane a wash, after a couple of minutes the plane was beyond repair :angry:
    The time was right to find a new hobby :(
    Then I found a Polikarpov in my kit stack and gave it a try. After a weekend of building the plane was ready to give an idea of the new story.
    So what do you think? should I still go for the Morane (I have to get a new kit) or should I keep on with the Polikarpov?
    After some thoughts I think maybe its more realistic to show a Polikarpov almost
    intact after a crash landing than a Morane, the Morane made of wood and
    canvas would most likely become totaly destroyed even after a light crash
    landing....
    And one more thing, this is after all a figure site, I have to sculp a new pilot!

Cheers
    Per Olav

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    an a shot of the Morane R.I.P
    [IMG]
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I think that this should be the best reason to keep the Morane.
    It will fit nicely on the base, so when this is finished and you like to build the Polikarpov, do it after you finished the dio.
    Then look what plane you want. But you have a finsihed diorama that is in my opinion become's a gold one.

marc
  6. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Hello Per Olav!

Ouch!!!

although I can imagine the frustration, please don't worry about it anymore! The Polikarpov looks great also and fits very well to the groundwork, and as you wrote it might even be more realistic.
    You might need something to fill the now slightly empty spot on the right side of the riverbank though. Maybe part of the broken wing? I already like the overhanging vegetation there, so maye this can be exaggerted more? ...

By the way, the painted groundwork looks absolutely great!

Best wishes,

Marijn
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well Per Olav,
    I have to admit I like the Morane better, but either plane will hold it's own. I don't know that the Morane would have been more damaged or not. It's hard to know exactly how hard he would have hit the ground, any sort of imaginary circumstances could have happened. I don't think it would have necessarily been more damaged. It changes the whole era with the Polikarpov. I think maybe some of the inocence is lost with it over the Morane. Just a thought. You will no doubt make the correct decision! Keep us posted on your progress!

Jay H.
    OKC
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great diorama either way, but my preference is for the Morane.~Gary
  9. Marijn Van Gils New Member

Euh, guys...
    I think Per Olav also preferred the Morane, but if I read correctly it is not an option anymore: completely destroyed, and it would be too boring to build another one...

Best wishes,

Marijn
  10. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marijn,
    this is CERTAINLY not meant to read as an argument with you, but I read into the post that he might still be up in the air about it and was asking our opinions. I don't dissagree that building the Morane again would be a pain in the a$$. But I just think it has a lot more impact considering the whole era changes with new plane. Just M2C. As you and I both know Per Olav can do whatever moves him! :)

Per Olav, you may have to jump in here and clear up my ignorance. Sorry if I am mistaken. :(

Jay H.
    OKC
  11. Milorg Member

Norway
    Hello guys

sorry my late reply, a lot to do at my work lately..

Thank you all for your opinions on which plane to use, I have also discussed the question with some other modellers and the meanings are 50/50.
    I agree with you Jay, that some of the "innocence" is lost when the the Morane is gone and the lay out has changed a bit but not in a negative way I think.
    The Polikarpov is easy available and since I'm living in a "desert" regarding available hobby shops I keep on with the project using the "Rata" . :)

Sorry my question started some "hot" discussion , I guess my english some times can be misunderstod, my fault :(

Keep on building guys, I will keep you updated!!

All the best
    Per Olav
  12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Per Olav!

Excellent dio you got going! Im not really biased towards one plane or the other, the only thing that came to mind seeing the second plane is that you see less of the pilot then you did with the original air frame.

Now, I dont think this is reason enough to find another kit, build it and paint it while you alrleady have the other one built and ready to go.

The way I tried to look at it was as if I hadnt seen the first version before the second, would I know it was not the original plan? The answer is ofcourse not and I think its just as brilliant with either plane.

Looking forward to see the next series of inprogress shots!
  13. Milorg Member

Norway
    Hello Anders

Thanks for your words.

Ser deg på Euro?

Cheers
    Per Olav
  14. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Per Olav,

Ja, jag kommer till euro! Ser fram emot att träffa dig!!
  15. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Hey Per Olav :) !
    The groundwork looks AWESOME (y) !!! As for the choice of airplane to use, I think that either type would be suitable, although like it has already been discussed, the "innocence" is lost with the second choice ;) . Whatever the final outcome, the diorama is still a GOLD winner !!! Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  16. kovanen New Member

Hello Per Olav

It was Great to see you again in Euro & my hat off to you for a WELL deserved Gold!

This sure looks like an another winner :) It's even better than I imagined...

Polikarpov lays on the ground more realistic than Morane. In my opinion the composition w. Polikarpov is more pleasing to the eye as well. Only shame is that you had to scrap that GREAT WW I pilot. Maybe you can use it in another project...

Take your time to decide on the paint scheme of the plane...It will affect a lot on the final appearance of the dio! Green with red russian stars would contrast nicely on the whitish ground and still maintain the cold atmosphere. Maybe a worn out winter camo with green showing underneath...This dio could be set in Finland ;)

Fourth kid on the empty spot on the right might be nice? Maybe someone skating late to the site... Or heavier overhanging vegetation ike Marijn suggested.

All the best & waiting to see the next steps.

Petri

ps. I have some "cigar smoking" winner pics for you! Just let me know your email address.
  17. Wikinger New Member

Hello Per Olav!
    Just got notice of your outstanding project and I am too suffering with you from this accident with the plane! :(
    My humble opinion to the question if or not to have another Morane installed:
    I think the first composition with the Morane was more dynamic, as the direction of the crash landig was towards the slope and the tree with the child on it. This gave a thought of danger that the plane might tip over ore slip. Another reason for the kid to be careful!

Whatever solution you choose, as far as one can see now, it will be a match winner! (y)
    p.s.:
    I suppose, there will be added some rubble onto the ice that came from the impact of the plane.